1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD LEFTY Höfner Custom Shop Euroburst '62 Violin Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Matt R., Mar 2, 2017.

1. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Price:
    Strings:
    Left-Handed?:
    • Yes
    Left handed Custom Shop Euroburst '62 Höfner 500/1 Violin Bass. I'm the original owner. Bought new in the fall of 2015.
    Gorgeous Euroburst finish, stunning figuring on the neck and back. Excellent condition, well cared for. So far I've only seen one other lefty like this, so I feel this is pretty unique.
    Currently not sporting the pickguard, but I'll put it back on if this sells. Includes tweed-like case. Plays & sounds like a dream.
    Asking $2200 shipped to the continental USA only.

Attached Files:

Lord Andrew likes this.
  2. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Bump

3. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    You might want to consider listing this on leftybassist.com. It's a smaller board, but obviously for the demographic that you're seeking.

Oh, and good luck w your sale.

Matt R. likes this.
  4. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Thanks, I have! Been a member there for years.

5. Varlam

Varlam

Jan 20, 2017
    Metro Detroit
    I have a 2002 German made Hofner Cavern bass (I keep the pickguard off as well), but I thought I'd share something here...

Straightaway people usually think of this as the Beatle bass and that it's mainly/only good for that style material. But being these have a true hollowbody, along with Hofne or Pyramid flats results in a bass that is essentially a smaller sized acoustic bass. It truly excels for old blues, folk and even European classical. It has that wooly, woody tone I haven't found anywhere else which is why I've kept it over the years. One friend continually (and unsuccessfully) asks me to sell it to him. It loves to be paired with a warm, tube amp. Plugged into another friend's vintage SVT stack once and it sounded phenomenal, simply marvelous.
    I'm not a big fan of short scaled or narrow nut basses (mine is 40mm) but it's a breeze to play, so lightweight and nothing else out there can really match the tone and feel.
    I imagine it's difficult for seller Matt here to part with, but hopefully it

Matt R. likes this.
  6. Varlam

Varlam

Jan 20, 2017
    Metro Detroit
    ...but hopefully it finds itself in the hands/home of another appreciative owner.
    So, yeah it great for early Beatles and Classic British, but it's equally ideal for other classic, older music styles as well.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Cheers, Andrew

Matt R. likes this.
  7. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Thanks for that. Good points and I couldn't agree more!

8. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Price drop $1999.

9. Varlam

Varlam

Jan 20, 2017
    Metro Detroit
    The output on those Hofner pickips is actually very strong which may be hard to realize from the nature of those early 60's recordings and mixes.
    Their thick tone is also excellent for old school/low-fi Dub and Ska styles too. Warm and wooly in spades.

Also, perhaps of interest to potential buyers... there's a YouT*be video about their German workshop and what goes into the building of their instruments.

Matt R. likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021