1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lefty Hollow(ish)bodies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Rogers, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I play a lot of Americana/Folk/etc. Currently play a P-bass with flats. Not dissatisfied, but always interested in experimenting. I'd like to try a hollow/semihollow bass. If I was a righty, I'd get a Jack Casady Epiphone. Problem is, I'm a lefty. So, what is out there. I know I can hope that an old Gibson EB2 comes up on eBay. Hofner is an option, but I don't think I want short scale, and the knockoffs I've played have been unpleasant. What else is out there for lefties?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Something symmetrical so easy to reverse, maybe? There are lots of new&old semihollows with basically a "335" double cutaway shape.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I'm a lefty, too. One of the 2 remaining empty niches in my herd is a long scale, true hollow body bass, so I've been looking for a long time now. What's out there for us? Nothing. Unless you want to convert something (and there's pix of a nice Casady conversion around here somewhere), or pay what Gretsch wants for a Custom shop White Falcon, you're out of luck. If you can live with a semi-hollowbody long scale (and I have 2), there's a Danelectro DC Pro, or a Warwick Star II; there's also the Carvin AC 40/50s if a chambered acoustic/electric will work for you. The Warwick is pretty pricey, though. There's not a big market for this kind of bass as it is, and when you throw "lefty" into the equation, the trickle dries up real quick. Ponying up big $$$s for a custom, or a conversion, is our only real option Unless you come across a vintage lefty Gibson or a Gretsch - which is how I lucked into my '94 Broadkaster.:)

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    GIBrat51 nailed it, you're pretty much into custom build territory for the type bass you're looking for.

5. stevensivak

stevensivak Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2014
    You guys have overlooked the best one
    and is available in lefty:
    Warwick Star

Means2nEnd likes this.
  6. GIBrat51

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Like I said; if you want to settle for a semi-hollowbody, there's the Warwick. Stars and Star IIs are not true hollows (like a Gretsch); they have a block down the middle, which makes them semis. I own both kinds; and, sound wise, there's really not much to choose between hollow and semi - other than the problems that come with electrifying a hollow body guitar that the semis were invented to fix. So, it really boils down to - 'do you want a hollow body instead of a semi, just because it is hollow?' In my case, the answer is 'yes'. The Star II, according to Warwick, is actually a neck-thru semi-hollow; which is probably why they're $5-6000 for a new one. Both are extremely nice, but if what you really want is completely (well, almost completely) hollow inside, they don't fit the bill. In my herd, that niche is already filled; else, I would most likely be enjoying a maple, satin finished Star II right now.:)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  7. stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    Missed your note...

But you make them look bad due to the price you gave which is the Pro Series.
    The non-pros are a fraction of that price that you gave and they have fantastic reviews and they don't sound too bad either

8. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Thanks. I'm willing to give a semi-hollow a shot. I thought the Casady had a center block. No? I have an URB, so I've got lots of hollow. I'll give the Warwicks a look.

9. stevensivak

Dec 24, 2014
    You probably won't regret it

10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I'd actually say there are several sub-categories:
    • semi-hollow or chambered - solid block from neck to bridge, hollow elsewhere
    • semi-hollow, highly chambered - almost everything inside routed / chambered except neck block, bridge block, and 2 parallel solid "bars" in between"
    • hollow but "reinforced" - like the Jack Casady, top is hollow and floats other than edges & bridge block, but bridge block is solid, and there's a reinforced "backbone" along the back connecting the neck and bridge blocks
    • full hollow: no bridge block, entire tension of strings is carried through the body & top - usually used with a floating wooden archtop / jazz style bridge
    • (probably other variations too)

11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yes, there's a bridge block, and a laminated "backbone" that runs along the back from the bridge to neck blocks, top mostly floats except at edges and bridge block.

12. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Left Handed Dillion DB-335-004 Electric Bass

I'm a righty, and I have two of these (righties), both bought used from different sources, and both displaying the same quirks (which may account for their going on the market used):

1) Back-bowed neck: truss rod tweaked, and no bass I have now has a more buttery action; SA-WEET.

2) Dead spots: fat) finger mounted top dead center on the headstock sent these packing.

3) Long and heavy (9+ pounds/has the inertia block): I have found an ergonomically viable strap length which ameliorates the stretch and also balances well, which reduces strain on the back.

4) Some wonkiness with the tone controls which creates some buzz/hum: either do corrective surgery or just live with it. Right now I'm living.

Fit and finish? Superb!

But it only comes in red.

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    How about something cheap and flip, like this (not pushing them, just an example):
    $_57.
    (it's a Hofner Verithin ripoff / clone)
    - or an Eastwood Classic 4:
    .myrareguitars.com%2Fpictures%2Feastwood-basses%2Feastwood-classic-4-electric-bass-guitar-walnut.
    or Chowney Bass:
    ?image=http%3A%2F%2Fchownybass.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F02%2Fdark-red-burst-2-510x600.

And actually, you might check, but Eastwood does offer Lefty models, I think I've seen that Classic 4 in lefty.

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, for $529, right now:
    [​IMG]

blindrabbit likes this.
  15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I have the righty version, love it. Now, it is short scale, most of these are, can't have everything. Cool basses, though.

blindrabbit likes this.
  16. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama

Where have you been? Not a dozen feet from me is my Gretsch G6072 hollowbody (with fat) finger stationed top dead center on the headstock) -- a bass which was born righty then converted to lefty then re-converted to righty, and which I did not snag until its THIRD appearance on eBay. Sounds like it would have been perfect for you; it could be re-done back to lefty.

17. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Seriously, stalk reverb and ebay and such looking for a 34" scale easy conversion righty. They are out there, I have some that would have been candidates (Epi EA260 or similar).

18. GIBrat51

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    '94  Gretsch    G6119B.JPG That's exactly my point. It's a conversion. Did it come from from the factory as a lefty? No. Could you get a lefty G6072 - or any lefty bass- from Gretsch tomorrow? No. This is my '94 Broadkaster; it did come from the factory as a lefty, so they did make them; but it is the only lefty Gretsch bass I've ever seen, apart from a couple of custom ones from the '50s. I've been looking for a long scale lefty for many years; I know there are some out there - there's probably at least a couple of White Falcons, contemporary with my Broadkaster - but I haven't found one yet. The bottom line is that if you want a new, left handed, long scale, hollow body bass - there aren't any. Semis? Yes, a few; very nice ones, too. Conversions? Yes, of course, if that's the way you want to go. Conversions, for me, are a very last resort. Honestly, I would rather pay the Gretsch Custom Shop to have one built; I could afford it, but I'd rather not. And, bholder; I do have an EA-260; a very nice short scale bass it is, too. I'm still undecided as to converting it to a lefty, or letting the original owner have it back. It would be a shame to "ruin" it..:D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    El Pelusa and mcarp555 like this.
  19. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama

I believe the EA260 is short-scale. This being said, enough f-hole and violin bass bodies as well as long-scale bass necks show up in project bass on eBay that one could find a lefty body and make themselves a personalized DYI bass.

20. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Boy, you are setting yourself a tough row to hoe. Not being critical, but if I understand you correctly, you want a left-handed, long-scale, true hollowbody bass of Gretsch or equal quality that is a production model, not custom shop. To me, that describes such a narrow market demographic that I can see why manufacturers would pass, based solely on cost - benefit. Too much retooling for too few customers.