1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lefty questions(i've done my homework)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by egan3426, Mar 30, 2006.

1. i know that it's really hard to get a left-handed upright believe me i've tried. i know you can't just switch the strings around, and i know getting one made is obsenely expensive.
    i've been playing electric for years and i absolutely must learn to play upright, i will feel like i'm missing out if i dont. my question is, can i get a right-handedy modified(like moving the soundpost and bassboard, given little or no bevel is present) or am i doomed to purchase a 10,000 dollar instrument?
    don't flame me, i checked the faq section and did a search. this specific question was not answered. i'm asking this at talkbass because i heard that the most knowledgeable bassists are hear.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    If you've checked out this website, you know about Bob Gollihur. He sells carved Bulgarian basses at a very reasonable price, and apparently can provide a southpaw version for an extra $200. I've played this bass, and I think it's a great deal for the bucks. Really heavy, buy yourself a truss.:D

The additional upside is that you get to deal with Bob, who is one of the truly great guys in the business.

3. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    Welcome fellow lefty. You do have options for a left handed bass. There are several makers that offer a lefty version (at a small premium) such as Engelhardt, Christopher, Upton, & Gollihur. The prices for these can range from $1,200 to just over $2,000.

You didn't mention a price point, but I would think it would be cheaper to buy a lefty model versus paying someone to pop a top off a right handed bass and switch the bassboard and soundpost.

If you do a search on left hand, you will find a few posts on the subject.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

4. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    how are the bulgarians compared to a new standard????

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The New Standard is in a completely different league.

6. awesome. i think this means i might actually be able to get my own upright. thak you for the help.