1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lefty Switched to Righty

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nord, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Nord

Nord

Jul 10, 2012
    I would just like to hear some others opinions about learning to play with a pick because I have been finding it very difficult to move past feeling very awkward, rigid, and unnatural over the past few weeks.

I'm a bit concerned over it because I am playing bass right handed, but I have played guitar left handed for many years and it feels completely natural. However, about four years ago I decided that I wanted to learn to play upright bass, and I ended up learning to play right handed because tracking down a cheap lefty upright seemed impossible. Now playing upright is very natural righty, to the point where holding it as if I was going to play left handed feels completely awkward.

Lately I've been playing a lot of electric bass. I picked up a right handed one because it made sense from playing upright. It feels pretty natural, except for maybe some stretching that I get from holding the neck at a different angle, but picking with my fingers feels just fine. Now I am trying to learn to play with a pick and it is really weird. I laughed at myself pretty hard when I first looked in the mirror and saw how awkward I looked trying to hold and strum with it. My hand has loosened up quite a bit though, but I still feel very stiff and weird playing like this. I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to play as good with a pick right handed after playing lefty for so long, but maybe I just forgot about it feeling the same way when I was first learning guitar?

Anyone else doing the same thing? Or any left handed people out there playing right handed, how is it picking with your non-dominant hand?

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Buy a lefty bass....If it doesn't feel right it isn't. Some guys switch for different reasons I think none of them good ones. You can find just about anything lefty today why force something that is getting in the way of being the best player you can be?