Lefty Tighty - Righty Loosy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ElGoodo, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ElGoodo

ElGoodo

Nov 27, 2017
    Austin TX
    I have a question for all you truss rod gurus out there. I have my daily driver that have used for decades. It is a Fender P Fretless A/E that I bought back in '92. I have always used flats on it. Recently I put some LaBella Black Tapes on it and have LOVED it even more. The tension is lighter for these than the Chromes I was using and now in order to keep the action to where I am used to, I had to loosen the truss rod a tad. The problem/concern is that it is adjusted to just before were it becomes loose so it appears to be barely threaded. If I go even a quarter turn more it becomes obviously loose. So, right now the threads are snug and the action is right where I want it to be, but I do not know what the repercussions of having it set like this could be. Anyone have any insight or thoughts? Should I be concerned?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Sounds ideal to me. Just enough tension on the rod to keep the nut in place while the relief is good - great!

GIBrat51 and Matt Liebenau like this.
  3. ElGoodo

ElGoodo

Nov 27, 2017
    Austin TX
    Thanks Turnaround!

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Shouldn't be a problem. I have two basses that the nut is just on enough to not fall out.

5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Take the truss rod out and full the hole with cement.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021