Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lefty to Righty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by until.tomorrow, Jun 2, 2003.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Could you string a Left handed bass like a Right handed one and have it sound the same? or is there something with the pickup's what would screw up? Also if you can what kind of adjustments would you need to make (if any)? Let's say we're talking about a fender P bass...

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Can be done with no problems, but not really worth it IMO. On a P-style PU, they are split and offset, it would change the tone some. Reverse the nut, and reset the intonnation and it should be fine. Drawbacks? Cable output is now right in your arm, knobs are right in the way, cutaways are reversed decreasing comfort and fret access, and I imagine this would be a very poor balanced instrument upside down. Not worth it IMO.

3. stevedeter12

stevedeter12

Mar 10, 2003
    Nashville TN
    Are you a lefty that plays strung righty? If you are (I am and play lefties strung righty) then I think its definately worth it, otherwise I agree with ANBassist because 20 years ago when I started playing, lefties were tough to find, so I played flipped righties and man did I hate playing across the knobs, having the cuts all wrong, having to drill a new hole for a strap button, etc, etc...

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I stopped flipping righties to lefty in '74 :eek: What they said. I'ts all bad. Every once in awile I see a really nice righty bass and I size it up to see if I could flip it :meh:, but I know it would never be any good. :(

5. I'm lefty and that's why when I started bass, I played righty.

The market doesn't like us lefties!