lefty using a righty

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chriscisme, Dec 20, 2005.

1. chriscisme

Dec 20, 2005
    hey, im looking at basses and it seems like us lefty get shafted, sorta....well anyways, my friend was gunna give me a good deal on a bass and i was just gunna switch around the strings...is this fine?? i know on a guitar it warps the neck or something..ok thanks
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Are you a lefty playing lefty? If so, don't use a right handed bass upside down with it restrung.

If you are just beginning, play a right handed bass, you'll thank me later in life.

I'm a lefty/lefty, not because I want to be one, but because I have to. If I had a choice, I would be playing righty, but there is no way I would be able to do that (only if my hand doc were to break and reset my arm).

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    im a lefty and play right handed........ lots of bassists are 2 friends of mine are one a bassist one a guitarist... trust me play right handed so much more choice
  4. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I'm a lefty, and in addition to lots of lefty basses, I own several righties I play upside-down. Go for it if you like the bass.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Same here. Join us or die!!!! :ninja:
  6. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Im lefty and I play left!! Im proud of being what I am!! I prefer to play upside down than righty!!
  7. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    wow...that was....over the top there?

Anyways I too am a lefty playing righty. I dont see anything wrong with it, its not evil or anything :smug: So if you are dead set on playign lefty then by all means go for it. I know of alot of people who play with a right handed bass strung left handed and flipped around. Unfortuanately, many basses dont come in left handed versions, and some cost more jsut because they are left handed. So if you are jsut starting out I would really suggest learning right handed. Besides your left hand is doing more when you play righty anyways is it not?
  8. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Just have to change the nut and get used to the knobs under your forearm.
  9. I am left handed, but i play a righty bass...
    it does look pretty cool to play a righty upside down though...
    btw, thats not me...thats the doves bass player
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    and get used to the massive neck dive and the lack of an upper range...
  11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very true. This will allow a much greater selection of basses.

I am also a lefty who plays a right-handed bass. After 11 or-so years of playing, I have come to the conclusion that playing a right-handed bass makes more sense. As-far-as technique goes, I would much rather have my "strong" hand taking care of the more dexterous tasks such as odd fingering, chording, and intricate passages. This allows my right hand to take care of the more simple techniques such as alternating the index/middle fingers and occassionaly, the thumb.

Just my $ .02
  12. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
  13. +1 I too am a lefty that plays right-handed...I think there are distinct advantages and disadvantages to playing this way.

advantage: I have a great left hand and hammer-ons and fast-fretting come easily.

disadvantage: I really have to work at my right hand technique. fast even two-finger funk like Rocco Prestia is HARD! but the more I play, the better I get (15 years in, and I AM getting better :) )

I also am a drummer (play right hand lead), and play guitar (right handed, of course). I also play golf right handed, and shoot right-handed, use scissors right handed.
  14. Hey that dude has pulled a Jimmy Haslip. Notice, it is strung upside down. COOL!

I've been kicking around an idea of stringing a 5 string EADAE (up and then down again)...I think you could pull of some really cool lines and double stops this way...

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I play a left handed bass strung for a right hander.I'm right handed and thats all I do with my left. LOL!! B on the bottom, G on top. I had a right handed 73 fender jazz and I played it left handed. The controls kept getting in the way,and the strap prevented me from getting to the higher notes. Playing the way I do is limiting, cant be the Marcus Miller that I know I can be, but hey when ya have inspiration like Jimmy Haslip,and Jeff Schmidt, I can see that the process of learning your instrument is neverending.
    As far as getting your friends bass, make sure you have the nut replaced to accomodate the lower strings.And depending on what kind of bridge you have switch that around too.
    I currently play an Alembic fretted 5 string and a Lecompte VB5 fretless.Both are left handed bodies but strung for a righty. There are more left handed basses available now than there were 20 years ago.If you play lefty,, play lefty( lower string on top).It might look cool to play upside down but you are limiting yourself.If you play a right handed bass with the strings in the proper/real left handed way then that to me just looks lame(just my due centesimi).Guess whatever floats your boat is cool.Your the one thats making the final choice. Good Luck!!
  16. Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I'm a lefty. Play lefty. Own two basses. They are lefty. Samick p-style and now a Fender jazz. I may eventually get an upside down righty cause I think it'd look pretty good. But only if it was like a fender p or something cheaper. If I'm paying BIG bucks on a bass I want it lefty. Because if I did get a lefty Fender there has to be some readjustments. Can someone who's experienced go through these with we please and what exactly they do?

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    what readjustments are you talking about?
  18. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    My friend who plays guitar is left handed, but plays his right handed guitar right handed. He says its cheaper......
  19. Me too :ninja:

Have you ever had the urge to buy a left handed bass and string/play it upside down? Now that would get you some strange looks :D
  20. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL