Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by leejohn01, Sep 15, 2001.

1. leejohn01

leejohn01 Guest

Aug 26, 2001
    I've been playing upright bass left-handed for nearly 30 years.

Just wondering if there's any other lefties out there?
  2. Hi and welcome to TalkBass!
    I am left-handed but have always played instruments right-handed; a natural progression, I guess, from guitar to BG to DB.
    I found fingerpicking on guitar to be a bear when I first started, but have always liked having my dominant (left) hand on the fingerboard anyway, no matter what the instrument.

It crossed my mind once I picked up the bow that I may have advanced more quickly if I played left-handed.

I hope you take a minute to fill out your profile so I can see what kind of setup, etc you have. Did you find a left-handed DB or did you have to convert a right-handed one?
  3. I too am a lefty and I am gald I started to play right handed at the very begining. I have also always felt more comfortable with my left (dominant) hand on the fingerboard. Especillay on upright, where fingerboard strength does play a role in voice and articulation.
  4. leejohn01

leejohn01 Guest

Aug 26, 2001
    I'm naturally right handed, but an accident when I was young basically forced me to play left handed.

I finger with my right hand, and that's where my main strength is, so for me, playing left handed seems to be an advantage.

Left handed upright basses are kind of hard to find, but I do have a bass that's truly left handed. It's an Engelhardt ES-9.
  5. Jazz great Earl May plays lefty on a right-handed bass.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A friend of mine called Mick plays left-handed double bass. He goes along to some of the same Jazz workshops and classes that I do. His main double bass looks just the same as any other, but has the strings the other way round. He has also made or converted basses. Last time I saw him, he had built a "stick" - type DB and asked me to try it, so he could hear what it sounded like from a distance, but it felt really weird having the G string closest to me and the E furthest away. And I just couldn't play anything left-handed - right hand on the fingerboard - just couldn't get my head round it!