Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LEFTYS OF THE WORLD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarztekMilita, Apr 1, 2005.

1. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    hi. im the only lefty in my school, and its been kinda hard for me. with friends saying that i should i just learn regular. but thats not right for me.... dont want this to turn into another "punk" thread. just want to hear your storys and see your basses. thanks

and if this has already been posted then show me the link, thanks!
    :bassist:

2. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I've always played lefty, never tried to switch even in the early days. There are two sides to it though. One is that you're a member of an exclusive club http://www.leftybass.com and on the other side it's a real hassle to get good instruments. I say that if you're willing to put up with the instrument factor than play lefty if it feels comfortable. I've never regretted it. Rock on.

3. Another lefty here. Be prepared to pay a "premium" for a left handed instrument.

Seriously, had I the chance to go back and learn right handed, I would do it. It kills to only be able to look at the basses in a shop and not be able to play them. :bawl:

4. TurboRawker

TurboRawker Guest

Oct 23, 2003
    So. Car.
    I play lefty, sorta. I take a standard bass, turn it over and go to town. I leave the strings and everything. I don't want to pay the premium and I want to be able to play anyone's bass.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    You can't go against your brain: If you are lefty, you are lefty. Yes, it is a pain to be a lefty when it comes to finding a good bass easily (and when wanting to try many kinds of bass to determine what you like), but with patience it can be done.

Paying a premium for lefty basses only applies to new instruments. When buying at Ebay, you would often find basses at 50% off the price when new, and often even cheaper than a comparable righty one. This especially true in the high-end instrument mainly, as the high-end lefty market is quite small.

There are plenty of options of lefty basses out there. Schecter for example has a whole line of lefty basses priced well. If you are in a budget, Mexican Fenders aren't that bad and you can get many other Fenders from Fender Japan through Ishibashi. MusicMan still make plenty of lefties.

In sum, the price you have to pay for being a lefty player is well justified with the satisfaction you'll get playing naturally as a lefty.

Many lefties --that switch to righty at the beginning because of the ignorance of other righties-- might never reach the same level of technical ability as if they had naturally started lefty from the beginning.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, there is no such thing as a "lefty" bass. A lot of lefty's play "righty". It just matters which one you learn first. Both hands are involved. If a righty with 0 musical experience started learning lefty bass, he would be a lefty as far as bass goes.

7. I used to know a guy, right handed. Played left handed basses, like a regular lefty.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well some can be forced to learn righty, but to me it felt so unnatural and so uncomfortable when I tried to pick up a righty instrument. But when I picked up a lefty, even before knowing which was strung how, it at once felt natural and comfortable. So there you go.

As for pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    Been playing lefty bass for 33 years. You gotta do what your body tells you. Things are much better now than they were in the 70's. Several companies are making at least a few lefties available stock. My first lefty bass (as in not a fliped righty) was a Gibson EB-3. I waited a year for delivery.

The biggest problem is that you can't find many places to try several basses and compare. Several of the big bass store have a pretty good collection, but the best I know of is Southpaw in Houston. Their prices are not low, but you are paying for the only inventory of its kind that I know of. It's worth the extra price (to me) to be able to walk in and try the instrument. I've also bought and sold a lot of instruments on eBay. That costs something as well, but education is expensive!

10. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I started out righty, but I really couldn't feel comfortable that way, so I swapped strings. Way back then, I was taking guitar lessons, and the instructor even commented how much I had improved in that one week when I gave up trying to play righty and just played naturally. That was about 30+ years ago and a dozen basses ago.

No pics, but I do have a G&L SB-1 (Precision), Carvin LB75 all mahogany, MTD Kingston 5, and Alembic Orion (4). All lefty. I could try to draw pictures, but, you get the idea. :p

I also recommend Southpaw. I have purchased two basses there - no problems at all.

11. I guess I'm lucky. I'm left handed but play right handed, don't know why but it always felt natural to do that. Other than that, I'm a staunch lefty.

Interestingly, when I play the piano I do more with my left hand than other pianists. Must be a combination of being left handed and a bass player.

12. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    just check the nametag brotha` lefty and proud of it! it`s cool being a lefty. a lot of times lefty basses will sit around shops for a long time and it makes it easier to talk `em down. on the other hand it`s harder to sell one as i`m still am trying to sell a lefty bass. it makes sitting in a different story, if you don`t like people sitting your gold, but if you like getting a break now and then and lettin` a brotha` do his thing then your screwed. the firs teacher i had told me "you don`t wan`t to play left handed BLA BLA BLA! it`s funny because 20 years later i`m taking lessons again and the guy teaching me is like 20years younger than me and USED to be left handed and guess who he had for a teacher?

13. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I've been lefty from the start, if I can't find it, I make it. Take a mexi J-bass and make it suit you.

Attached Files:

14. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    I feel at home! when i got my first bass, it was right handed, so i swoped the strings and loved it! now i got an actual lefty and am happy as hell! :bassist:
    and to frank martin, all i have to say to you, GOD DAMN!!!!!!! :eek:

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :D
    Thanks.
    If you save up consistently for some time, you too can have such a nice stable - or an even nicer one!
    The downside is that you can hardly ever find the basses you are looking for used, so you have to buy a new one, sometimes even pay upcharge for a lefty one.

16. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm a lefty, but play right handed. Waaaaay back in the mid '70's when I started, left handed equipment was hard to come by, and if I could find it, was way over my budget. Rather than wait, I got something I could afford and jumped in.

17. Lateralus_

Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
    I'm lefty and play a right handed bass. It was a slow learning process in the beginning. At first I could only use my right hand index finger to hit the string. But I think being a lefty helped in fretting notes and learning technique faster.

18. 5stringFanatic

5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Lefty right here..

I remember when i first walked into guitar center to purchase my first bass, and everyone was telling me, that i sohuld just buy righty and get used to it, and i refused to, and as soon as i picked up the left handed fender american jazz bass, i knew. Im a lefty. Just feels so natural.

Pics of my warwick thumb bolt on left handed:
    http://www.usi-team.net/wick/1.JPG
    http://www.usi-team.net/wick/3.JPG

As some have already said, the downside to being a lefty is that you really do hve to save up money and buy new instruments because its very hard to come by good sutff used. And also if you want to try out different basses, its always tough since most stores carry 1-2 lefty basses if at all.

I say, go for what feels natural. Dont try to fight your brain, lol.

Kind Regards,
    H

19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I'm a lefty and I play lefty, strung righty. Here's most of mine:

20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'm a lefty, but I learned guitar on my brother's "normal" righty instrument, and so learned to play bass the same way. I've never picked up a lefty bass, but when I tried a lefty guitar it felt completely freakish, after having learned the other way, kind of like trying to write with your wrong hand.

I'm guessing I would play differently if I played the other way, since I use my better-skilled left hand to do most of my muting, rather than my picking hand. I might play faster if the left was doing the picking, but I'll never know.

As someone mentioned above, I also play keyboards, and have an advantage over most people with my left hand. When I've done sessions playing bass on a keyboard, I've always used my left hand, as opposed to most keyboard players who favor their right when using only one hand.