Leg cramps and compression tights

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Sometimes I get cramps in my legs at night. You might know the kind, you stretch or move your leg a little bit and WHAM! it time for a painful awakening. I get the cramps in my calves or in my thighs right below the knee joint. Sometimes I can massage the cramp out and other times I need to get out of bed and walk it off.
    I have done my homework and I am not looking for medical advice. Knowing how we are I am sure I will get some anyway :) No doubt the cramps are related to cycling. My father had the same problem so maybe it is hereditary too.
    Bought some compression tight for wearing under my shorts when I cycle. Mostly to keep my white fish belly legs from getting sunburned in the summer. Turns out I like the compression on my legs when I ride. Now I wear them if I am going on a long ride.
    One day after a tough ride I decided to wear the tights to bed. That night I started getting a cramp in my calve but it just went away and never got the tight painful knot phase. I have been paying attention since then. The only nights that I get serious cramps that I have to walk off is when I am not wearing the tights.
    Has anyone else had this experience?

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Hey bud, not to scare you but they can also be associated with diabetes. Might be worth a visit. Hydration can certainly play a part as well. Last year I started getting the take your breath away curse like a sailor leg cramps at night. It was a combination of pre diabetic and hydration.

3. slobake

Okay, thanks. Yup, I know about hydration, due for a physical soon I will have the diabetes checked. FYI I have been having these cramps for a long, long, time.

4. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

I used to get these very frequently as a side effect of a medication I was on. Still do occasionally, though no longer as frequently.

At some point, someone mentioned to me that the pain was likely my calf muscle over-tensing, and that I could quickly soothe it by bringing my toes toward my knee to stretch the muscle. Seems they were right, as every time I've woken up with such a cramp since, I just have to move my foot in such a way (as though I'm trying to point to my knee with my toes) and the issue is almost immediately resolved. Your situation could easily be different, but if you haven't tried that yet, I recommend it. Could help.

--^@

slobake likes this.
  5. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I also get severe calf cramps. I may try the toe thing, but what has worked for me in the past is pushing hard into the arch of my foot. Sometimes I use the other foot to push, and sometimes I just step onto the corner of something.

6. slobake

I'll give it a try, thanks.

7. slobake

Good ideas and suggestion here, all worth as try. As for me, I would rather not get the cramps at all and the compression tights seem to be achieving that.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Drink a Gatorade before you got to bed. Seriously.

b-b-b-bass likes this.
  9. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    You know, I just haven't worn tights since the last time, and I'd like to keep it that way. :cigar:
    Can I just tie a string around my leg?

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Potassium, calcium, magnesium. Low electrolytes may be the cause. Was for me.
    I took potassium pills and ate a banana every day.

Electrolyte water and massage before bed may help.

Curious what your doc recommends?

DIY: Put a bar of soap under the sheet near where you get the cramps. Been reported to help in several DIY medical self help groups.

Hope you feel better.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  11. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    It's cancer.

Munjibunga and slobake like this.
  12. slobake

:laugh:

13. slobake

Are you sure? Could be a gall bladder problem.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  14. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

At least we can be sure it's not lupus.

--^@

slobake likes this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You're probably deficient in one or more of these:

potassium, calcium or magnesium

b-b-b-bass likes this.
  16. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    The only thing I'm sure about is that we need to operate immediately. I'll figure out the rest on the fly.

17. slobake

I think the real cause is burrito deficiency.

Gaolee and Mktrat like this.
  18. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Remember to stretch your legs after activity or if u Been sitting/working etc. Take your daily multivitamine & fish oil. Stay hydrated with water. Maybe try a pillow under your calfs/legs.

19. I can say from experience that lack of hydration can indeed make somebody cramp up. If you're a cyclist, you probably already know this though.

20. Try TNC.

David Jayne and slobake like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021