Leg cramps and compression tights

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Far too much sodium and sugar, far too little potassium, IMHO. There are much better sources of "what you need" without the crud you already get too much of unless you are crazy careful about your diet. Fruit, nuts, potatoes, beans (see, the burrito could be a good thing after all - if there's not too much salt in there. Which there usually is.)

Hydration and potassium intake (food preferred) are my main cramp-related items.

The pre-diabetic comment causes me to recall that diabetes might be a reason to avoid compression stockings/tights (the whole ugly "feet needing to be amputated" problem that can be a side effect of diabetes - no really. Shudder.) So you should eliminate that and consult with your doctor (yup, get you some actual medical advice, not my advice.)

slobake likes this.
  2. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

No no no. Certainly a brain tumor.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    TB docs at it again. Guys(and gals, of course) get serious. This is serious stuff! I think you' all need to take a continuing course in crampology.

You know it's the toe bone connected to the foot bone, and the foot bone connected to the ankle bone, ankle bone connected to leg bone, and the leg bone connected to the burrito bone...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    slobake and TOOL460002 like this.
  4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Hey Slo, had the same thing, cycling, 60+ years. I started taking calcium. Women I've know have suggested them and I was reluctant.
    I relented eventually and viola, greatly diminished frequency. Worked for me....but continue the burrito therapy

slobake likes this.
  5. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Of course I know that song! Come on... All of us TB doctors have to recite it at graduation. We can't have just anyone providing poor medical advice now. That would be ridiculous!

Stumbo and slobake like this.
  6. This is a classic SCIATICA symptom. I get this.. I call it "Jimmy Leg" LOL. Sciatica is what I would be betting on. Do you have lower back issues? disc problems?

I get my sciatica from a bulging L5/6 disc.

Stumbo likes this.
  7. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Oh no. They once told me I had that, but it was for back/hip pain, not cramps. They gave me gabapentin and I tuned into a zombie. Zombies can't feel pain, but they can't hold a down a job, either.

8. yes back /hip pain goes along with sciatica also.. the leg cramp thing is just added bonus. Cannabis works well for symptoms.

I also have cramping of the piriformis muscle in my butt cheek.

9. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Hey slo as an avid cyclist myself I used to get crazy cramps after some of my 12+ hour rides. Someone told me bananas help with cramping since there high in potassium. Now I carry around a bushel of bananas with me when I go for long rides and eat them throughout the day and they seem to do wonder's for the cramp's. Maybe give it a try for a week and see how your body responds?

Groove Doctor, Stumbo and slobake like this.
  10. Treat leg cramps with electrolyte supplements. Baking soda dissolved in water works well. Great for heartburn and acid-reflux prevention as well.

tlc1976, Stumbo and slobake like this.
  11. slobake

slobake resident ... something

No no major back problems, that would make riding my bike difficult

12. slobake

I do that as well it's very a-peeling.

13. slobake

Hoo boy I sure have a lot of stuff to wash down with that Gatorade. :wideyed:

Stumbo likes this.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK. It works for me. I drink G2 to get less sugar.

Stumbo likes this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Cramps can be from lots of things. You pay your doctor too much money - find out and listen to him/her.

16. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    This is my regular post gig action too, especially in the summer with outside shows in 95-105 degree heat. I also keep my potassium intake high with bananas.

17. Cramps in legs is commonly a Calcium/Magnesium imbalance, dehydration or a Sodium/Potassium imbalance. Epsom Salts bath (magnesium sulfate) works wonders for me.

Does stretching, or warmup/cooldowns help?

Research into compression garments - results are hugely variable, and it's all down to the individual. Generally people prefer tighter garments during exercise, and less tight garments during recovery. Some only wear them during exercise, others only wear them for recovery.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  18. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Obviously get a doctor's opinion to correct it long term. Now dealing with it in the moment, I heard on the NPR show People's Pharmacy a few years ago to down a tablespoon of yellow mustard during a cramp attack. I started doing it, and the cramp would clear in a few minutes (5-15 mins). My cramps are usually in my feet. Not hydration related or anything else really, doc says I'm in good shape. I am now seeing a lot of the Obstacle Course and Distance Runner folks carrying packets of yellow mustard during races.

As for the compression wear, I like them. I wear shorts and socks when doing anything physical. Just this morning, I tweaked a calf muscle running and it started cramping before I went to work. Decided to wear the compression socks today and after a few hours, my calf feels great. Probably would be favoring it all day without them.

Oh, when at the doc, get your TNC levels checked. Too high or too low can be catastrophic.

slobake likes this.
  19. PS. I've been wearing my snowboarding compression socks to gigs. Whole body is less tired at end of night.

slobake likes this.
  20. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Very simple fix...Anything with quinine or a derivative thereof works like magic. Go to a drug store and pick these up:
    upload_2017-8-23_8-55-55.jpeg

Sorry the picture is small...but CVS, etc. carries these and they work very well.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021