Leg cramps and compression tights

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008

2. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Why I oughta ...

shadowtippy likes this.
  3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    One banana has about 425 mg of potassium, which is good. However ...
    1 oz of potato chips has 361-465 mg of potassium! Plus they have plenty of sodium and carbohydrates! Potato chips are clearly the best athletic endurance food!

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Plenty of Gin & Tonic is the best for post-workout rehydration.

ptg likes this.
  5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    zinc and magnesium works for me. Twinlabs product called ZMA is cheap and very beneficial. especially cool are the "lucid dream state" side effects!!!

b-b-b-bass likes this.
  6. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Stretches, I prefer Yoga: Hatha and/or Ashtanga. Also, bananas are great solution too.

I don't wear tights.

7. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks for the suggestion but I think i'm going to stick with PB + Banana for now. Need all the calories I can get also it's yummy.

hondo4life likes this.
  8. slobake

Darth-Vader-With-Ballet-Legs--46839.jpg

12BitSlab, hondo4life and Gaolee like this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I like this solution.

I get nasty foot cramps. Rarely leg cramps, but my toes and the arch of one foot or the other will sometimes do exacty what your legs to. It's usually when I have had too much coffee and not enough water over the course of a day. Or a couple energy drinks. I like talent booster/ego enhancement drinks as much as the next guy, but those have side effects if you get too much of it and don't dilute it with enough water. Water is the main thing, but the trace minerals others have mentioned also count. Sometimes, at the end of a long show, my hands will start to cramp. This especially happens when it's good and hot and I'm being over-energetic on the upright. It's a dehydration problem then.

Another aspect of it is that I'm on some kind of diuretic blood pressure control stuff. That washes salts of various kinds out of my system. As a result, I have to be more careful about making sure I drink enough water and get the right salts back into my system. I avoid sugar for the most part (just don't like it and don't like sweet food all that much), so that complicates things. Fruit and vegetables are great, but things like Gatorade isn't my idea of a good time.

There's got to be some kind of potassium enhanced bean burrito out there. Black beans, perhaps? Hmmm... Now I know what to have for lunch!

slobake likes this.
  10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If I ever get desperate enough to ask a medical question on TB, that's when I know I need to call my Dr.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  11. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Carrot juice might work.

Gaolee and slobake like this.
  12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Maybe you need a pair of Tuna Fish shorts.

il_340x270.1297317999_7lmi.jpg

12BitSlab and slobake like this.
  13. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I do a lot of walking and used to suffer with cramps in my calves during the night after a long walk (5 hours+). I also got them if played a gig especially if it was outdoors on a cool/cold evening.

I now eat at least one banana per day and have started making my own hydration fluid.
    When I finish a walk I usually have a bag of crisps (potato chips?) for a bit of extra salt.
    I put an extra layer of bedding over my lower legs after a walk or gig or anytime I get the feeling that my calves might cramp up.
    I now only get them very occasionally and they are not nearly as bad as they used to be.

14. slobake

I have heard of people drinking pickle juice. Haven't tried it myself.

15. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    No! No! No! You're WAY off!!!!

A double Jack Daniels Single Barrel either neat or with some Coke. That's what the doctor orders any and all ailments known to mankind.

hondo4life likes this.
  16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

It works. Plus, pickles are good. Dill pickles. You can keep the sweet pickles. I don't like sugar very much.

17. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I have had these, and I think they hit the spot on a hot day. Now, they are a bit overpriced, but it's all in the packaging.

Pickle_Ice_Case.jpg

18. I get those. I usually just step out of bed and flatten my foot to get rid of it.

It's 'Off Topic" stress that causes it.

craigie and slobake like this.
  19. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    So you clinically are a tight ass. ;)

12BitSlab likes this.
  20. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Interesting. I'll have to research that. Just read that one teaspoon contains 80% of your daily sodium intake though and most of us are not lacking in sodium in our diets.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021