Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

legal age to become a bartender

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, May 4, 2005.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    hi all,

i was just wondering what the legal age to become a bartender in the USA is? i know over here you have to be 18 to both drink and serve an alcoholic beverage in a public house. so is it the same over there that you have to be 21 to both serve and drink or can you serve at a younger age?

2. I think the law varies from state to state. On that note, I have no idea what the law is.

3. Considering the National drinking age is 21, and the rules nationally (I think) to work in a liquor store are 18 and also the same to serve liquor in a bar. You just need the proper credentials.

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

You can be served at any age, provided your parents are with you. Som say the parent actaully has to hand the drink to the minor, I do not know if that part is true. I do know that my two boys were being asked as early as twelve years of age. When the youngest at the age of 14 stood 6'2" was asked by several bartenders, who did not know that he was with us.
    Off sale is a different story.

Wesley R. Lonnquist

5. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    cool. the reason i ask is because im going to the states next summer. i want to get work as bar staff somewhere. i am hopefully going to get a job as trainee bar staff in a pub in my town. i know the owner, my brother works there, 2 of my friends work there, my friend gets on very well with the bar manager and im a regular there so the majority of the rest of the staff know me quite well also. i hopefully wont have a problem. its a very busy bar aswell so hopefully when i go to the states that experience with me for a year should stand, shouldn't it?

6. A termite walks into a bar and asks, "Is the bar tender here?" :bag:

Mike :D

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The drinking age in the USA is 21, i know by European standards that is old.Some Pubs might hire you under 21 to bartend.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its a state law (when you can serve Alcohol). Its a national legal drinking age act of 1984 that prohibits the legal drinking age to 21 however. In Texas you have to be 18 to serve alcohol and its regulated by the TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverages Commision). Some places require you be certified by TABC ($50 class that wastes about 2-4 hours of your time to get a little piece of paper that says your certified) while some do not.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I believe you have to be 21 in Ohio to serve an "open container".

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

In Rhode Island the age is 18. A lot of Irish people work
    in Newport RI in the summer during the tourist season.

11. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    i was initially going to be going to santa cruz, ca. but its just too expensive over in california to justify going there to earn money out of the summer. anyone have suggestions for a group of 8-10 irish students to go to and work for the summer, ideally by the sea but yet close to an agricultural area. i was looking at virginia beach today. it seems nice. thoughts?

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I used to work in Bars and restaurants in Washington State.

If you are under 18, you may handle Beer and Wine. You can stock, clean-up spills, tap kegs, etc. You cannot touch a bottle of hard liquor. Technically, you're not even supposed to clean it up.

If you are 18-21, you may serve Beer and Wine, but again, you can have nothing to do with Hard Alcohol.

If you are 21, all's fair game. You need to be licensed to tend a bar. The process is primarilly for health reasons, as well as training to spot intoxicated patrons and learning how to "cut them off" in a professional manner that ensures the next empty bottle of patron isn't forcefully implanted in your skull.

That being said, I worked in a bar at 17 as the dishwasher and stock-boy. The only thing I didn't do was mix and serve.

13. MAJOR METAL

Yeah i have heard a few other places that have diffrent standards for hard liqour and beer.

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    WA's got strange laws 'cause they have separate state-run liquor stores. It;s not just that you have to go to a special store owned by someone with a license.. these are actually owned and operated by the state. They card EVERYONE who comes in the door, regardless of age, even if you arne't buying naything, but your buddy is.

I remember one time in college I was getting some booze for the apartment. There's a guy ahead of me in line actually making his purchase. It's raining outside and cold. His gf runs in and states loudly "I'm with him, but I'm not 21... is it ok for me to stay in here 'cause it's too cold for me to wait in the car anymore"... the clerk rejected the sale... I couldn't help but snicker a little bit...

In California, I have yet to go to a grocery store that sells liqour (yes.. the grocery stores sell liquor.. I like buying my Scotch at Safeway) where the cashiers are younger than 21, so I suspect that the laws are similar. You have to be over 21 to make the sale. I've never seen a bartender under the age of 21, either.

15. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    to add nothing to this thread, I would like to mention that I am a bartender here in Japan. I'm 19, the drinking age is 20. My job requires me to drink more than it does to serve. I got the job when I went to the bar and drank this odd jack daniels mix, the boss came right up to me and offered me a job. just come to japan :bassist:

16. In Texas, 18+ can handle all types of alcohol...my brother went through one of those training courses.

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's 18+ here in IL. We have a local student written paper called "The Booze News" all about the drinking college student's lifestyle. They have pictures and a tiny bio about the local bartenders, and there are a lot under 21.

18. I supposidly can handle hard liquor, pretty sure thats the NJ law. I want to progress myself in the booze industry from a liquor store worker, to a bartender. Someday I hope to help run a bar/ own one on the side of my police work after college.

19. MAJOR METAL

Does the United States have the highest drinking age?.

20. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    yeah, pretty sure. except for the countries where your not allowed drink.