Legal mp3's

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    My boss wrote me an email me asking if I knew of any good sites to legally download mp3's, such as kids songs for her grandchild.

I would like to be able to help her out with this but all the ones I use(d) or know are not "legal". So where is all the happening legal downloading these days?
  2. Napster for monthly fee for mostly unlimited downloads, and some pay per track stuff, or iTunes for 1$ a track.

I don't know of any free legal sites though, and if someone has one, I'd like to know(unfortunately I don't think this exists).
  3. There's this new service called iTunes. You can download single songs for .99! It might just catch on.
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Rhapsody is what I use.

I love it...
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I use

$10/month gets you 40 tracks, or 25 cents/track. $15/month gets you 65 tracks. They won't have XTina's latest hit, but you'll find plenty of great labels represented. Tons of amazing jazz and blues.

You can search their database before you buy, too.

EDIT: Here's the childrens' category:
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Eh? I'm paying $5.99 a month for 40 downloads.

I've discovered some great lesser-known bands through emusic. You have to put in some time though to make those kinds of discoveries.

brad cook
  7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've found that to be about the cheapest of them all. They're pretty current and only charge by MB IIRC. A standard CD costs about $1.50-$2.00.
  8. soulseek. if u dont see the digital looking black bird then its not the right one. its totally free. u are just downloading from other peoples music files.
  9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    He said LEGAL. There is nothing legal about that if you are downloading cppyrighted material. :rolleyes:
  10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The legality of is questionable if you are in the US.
  11. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How comes? Their website shows their lowest sub level as "eMusic Basic: $9.99 per month/40 downloads", which I've been happily using for two or three years (not as happily as when it was $9.99 for unlimited downloads but they've probably got children to feed or something...). That works out at about £6-£7 / month for me, which is great value, but I'd hate to be missing a deal!

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been using Limewire Pro. Don't know if it is totally legal or not, but it works great for me.

Use the radar to search for songs, if it is illegal to download them, then it will let you know ;)

Well, i spose, i dont mean illegal, it shows if it is on a record label that is part of the RIAA (if you are in the US, they are the people sueing everyone)

I think all this huff-uf of illegal mp3's is stupid really, i'll be honest, i download alot of music, but if i like it, i'll buy the CD, 95% of the people i know are the same
  15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I was under the impression that the Russian's worked a deal out with the record companies so that it was okay to download. I think their leverage was that either they (the record companies) take a small roayalty amount and allow the downloading or else the Russian gov't was just going to allow the file sharing to take place. with no payment of royalties.
  16. WRONG!!! Most of the recent research shows that only 8% to 12% of people actually go out and buy the CD after they ILLEGALLY download it. There is no way 95% of the people you know are doing this. Statistically impossible. If you aren't paying money for a song when you get it, it is illeagal! People are always looking to get something for nothing.
  17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, that's all well and good for Russian citizens. But, you don't appear to live in any of the former Soviet states (although some right wingers might think California is close enough). ;)

For example, if I were to order certain seeds from Amsterdam (where they are legal), that doesn't keep my butt out of the slammer in the US if they get intercepted by the USPS...

Just a thought. I am, by no means, an expert on international law--I just date the Managing Notes Editor of an International Law Journal, and I don't think that counts for anything.... :smug:
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Show off!
  19. Oh sorry, i didnt realise you know my friends more than me, what a fool i've been

arse . . .

Oh yeah, on the note of pircay, see how the music industry says its damaging? how come record sales are continuing to increase ( ~10% increase last year alone)

And yeah, some people like getting something for nothing, i just dont like spending £15 ( $27) on an album, just to find out its crap and im not going to listen to it, i also dont like spending money on mp3's, because even if you like the music you are getting, you are getting a poor quality version of the song. Thats why i download the mp3's, and if its good i'll fork out the cash
  20. Being that I imagine those types of studies are conducted under the guidance of the record industry, and already rather suspect regardless of affiliation (statistical studies regarding illegal behavior are almost always unreliable, due to a variety of factors), I'd say it is possible that 95% of people he knows buy cds when they like what they download. Sure, that's a rather high percentage (and probably not even intended by the original poster to be precise), but if you know anything about statistics, small, unrepresentative samples will often yield these type of curious results.

I really don't want to turn this thread into a debate, and there's no doubt that what 'i_got_a_mohawk" is suggesting is illegal, but seeing people misusing statistics is a pet peeve of mine.