Legal Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan1099, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Well, the other day, i came out of my apartment to find my car covered in speckles of brown paint. The grounds maintenance crew was spray painting the car port, and while my car was not IN the carport, it was probably about 50 feet away. When i left the apartment building, the car next to mine was covered in a giant plastic bag, presumably to prevent paint from getting on it. Mine was not. And sure enough, there are thousands of tiny brown paint splotches all over my black car. Not enough that you would notice it to be anymore than dirt, from a distance, but it will not come off. I was not warned that the carports would be getting painted, that i should move my car, or anything.

What i want to know is, what should i do about this. It is a brand new car, and while im not overly picky about its appearance, it does rather upset me, and i feel i have been wronged. Is someone responsible for getting this fixed? The painter's company? The management of the apartment complex? What should i do?
  2. I would say talk to the management of the complex first. They should be willing to clear things up. If they aren't to blame, they could still be very useful.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, I'd be surprised if the management wasn't willing to rectify something that was so obviously the fault of their employees or the people the hired to paint the building. If they won't though then talk to a lawyer or your insurance company...the insurance company might actually sue them for you.

brad cook
  4. I third the apartment complex.

5. This just ahppenned to my Boss's car a few weeks ago...maintennance crew painting a fence, the slight splay of the brush bristles made little black dots on her silver Audi.

What was bad is that I saw the guy painting and warned him of just this thing. He obviously didn't care. The "shop" maintennance crew had to pay for her car to be detailed to get the paint properly taken off without marring the finish, and not only her car, but a few others in the same lot.

You definitley have right to get this remedied, either by their goodwill, or thru legal action (hopefully it deosn't come to this)

Thing is to state your case asap.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    They should pay for it to be repaired, even if that means new paint for your car.
  7. Well, technically, the car already got a new paint job...

speckled is the new black, innit?

Good luck with this one.
  8. I eight the apartment complex.
  9. Well, cough it back up!!

I'm all for revenge. Revenge is fun, is a great way to get exercise, is great mental exercise, and can lead to all sorts of cool attention, like the national media!!

::grandpa simpson voice on::

I just want attention.

Rock on
  10. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Revenge, in my glory days, would have been the first thing to cross my mind. Now, im more calm, and worried about money. Doesnt exactly hold well for a lawsuit if i get caught slashing the paint companies tires, does it?
  11. Only if you get caught. :ninja:

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Talk to management, request politely that they rectify. This won't be a costly repair, new paint on top of old, speckled, usually comes off with a waxing/buffing since it takes weeks for paint to fully cure.

If they're too difficult about it, tell them you'll get the work done at a reputable dealership and seek all legal redress from them to pay the bill, lawsuit if necessary.
  13. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Remember to take pictures. veeeery important.
  14. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Well, i went and talked to the management company yesterday, and they were really cool about it. The manager came out, took a look at my car, and said it was definitely paint. He's waiting for a call from the president of the company to let me know how they are going to get this fixed. He is also checking to see if they painters company has insurance to fix this kind of thing. Anyway, it looks like it is being taken care of, and im real happy about this. I will also have to let him know that if whatever they do to get this paint off of it doesnt look as good as the car did before this happened, i will expect a repaint. Thanks for all the help, guys.