Legal stuff regarding ageness and shows....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TooFunkToDrunk, Jan 2, 2002.

1. I'm in a band with members who are 23, 19 and 19. I'm 16. Come end of January we plan to start gigging, and can easily get the opening slot for local legends the Special Guests, amoung others. We're writing good tunes (top40 bands somehow just don't get shows out here) and our new singer can really wail..... but yeah, I'm 16. Three years (actually more like two) before I reach the legal drinking age. Can I still play in bars? I've heard of some locals pulling it off, but they could've been all ages shows.... Oh yeah, I'm from Canada, so keep that in mind. Any answers appreciated.
  2. I was playing gigs before I was of legal drinking age (in the U.S.). You'll have to check with local authorities for specifics of your area, they just handed us a set of extra "rules"... things like: No alcohol on the stage - I had to enter through a side door - I had to leave immediately after our set... it varies greatly state to state and even county to county.

Good luck with it!!!
  3. i read in a local newspaper that incubus played in our county when they were younger... and they said they weren't even old enough to drink at the place they performed at, but i guess it's up to the place.
  4. If you don't know a lawyer, just call your local police station. They'll let you know straight out.

Mike J.
  5. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i just played a pub, im 15.....we were ok, as long as you dont pull a rowdy teenage crowd thats gonna try to drink, and the bar owner is ok, then ull be ok.....our croud drank a bit, and got us thrown out after our set :( oh well......

another gig toms, a club...clubs seem to be better cos theres a actual bar area and a seated area, ure not obliged to drink.....still, depends on the bar....
  6. I'd ask the people who run wherever you're playing at before the cops. I've actually gone to bars with my dad to watch local bands play, and the doormen didn't mind.
  7. Alot of places will allow a "minor" (under the legal drinking age) in as long as they are accompanied by a legal parent, guardian or spouse.

Get one of the guys to play "big brother" guardian for the night! :D

I dunno how anal the US gets, but you shouldn't have any others have said it might end up being a sober night for you, though.