Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Legality of downloading music videos?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Hey,
    Been thinking about this, what exactly is the legality of downloading music videos and live bootleg videos? And audio bootlegs for that matter? Or allowing them to be uploaded...

Cheers guys,

Tom

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    IMO the only authority on that is the band itself. Some are OK with it and encourage it, others aren't. A good place that collects these things and asks permission from the artists is http://www.archive.org. GREAT collection of legal free bootlegs to download.

3. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    My thinking on the subject is (I have alot of Rush bootlegs BTW). It's not a bad thing, I find them very interesting to listen to, and most new ones that are audience source - with the right recording equipment - are perfect!

Oh, and dont buy bootlegs, they should be free or traded!

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The record companies pay for the video, just like they pay for the album. Whether the company or the band owns the rights to it depends on the papers the band signed, just like with the music. Chances are, the rights belong to the record company and not the band. Oh, and of course the video has accompanying music and thus is not to be download under any circumstances.

I'm not sure about bootlegs. I am sure that the RIAA has been killing American culture for decades though.