Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Legend for low end?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Mar 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    See, everyone always talks about how certain bass's get GREAT high's (the stingray) or a bass gets GREAT mid's... (fender jazz's) ....

But NO one talks about what has good lows. I don't mean the nasal middy sound, but actual lows. Am I missing something?

When I try to think of a bass that gets great lows, nothing comes to mind.

Right now I'm playing a Danelectro Hodad with GHS brite flats on it... It gets pretty good lows, but I feel I can do better, and am in need of another bass. haha... Most people thought I'd stop at 4.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I know of 2 basses (I am sure that there are many more) that give good, clear low end - G&L (L2000/2500/SB1/SB2) and Fender Precision. G&L has stronger output and has more tonal variety than a P. I never tried my G&L with flatwounds, but even with very bright nickels it gives me that low, thumpy but well-defined sound.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    G & L meaning? And what kind of Fender p-bass? Be specific. And I'm talking about something that's quite biased against highs. I finger pick, so NO CLICKING! hehe.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want mud, theres not much better than an old Gibson EB with the big neck pickup, or an old Fender Telecaster with the neck humbucker.

For clear lows, without a lot of highs, get a Fender P bass and put flatwounds on it, and keep the treble rolled off a little.

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    the music man always seemed to be a little more bottom endy to me

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    G&L meaning G&L Guitars, the company that [G]eorge Fullerton & [L]eo Fender started. See http://www.glguitars.com/ for details.
    Re. Fender P, I mean a Fender Precision bass, with single split pickup by the bridge. See http://www.fender.com/electricbasses/pbass/americanseries/aspbass.html

I assumed that you don't want 'mud' - just solid, well-defined low end. That means no Gibson EB. Both G&L and Fender Precision will give you well defined lows with good punch. In either case, you'd need to roll off the treble tone control to get rid of any clicking and use nice flatwound strings.

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm using GHS Brite flats (the lightest model which aren't exactly THAT light)

Would that be bad to use brite flats? Should I use regular flats?

If you're unfamiliar with brite flats, they're basically a regular string ground done to flat wounds.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Any suggestions for what kind of fender p-bass? I was thinking of the Fender Lyte Deluxe before... thanks.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It might help if someone just IMs me and helps me... That has AIM or yahoo messanger.

10. The P Lyte Deluxe I tried out seemed less bassy to me than a normal P bass.

Still a great bass though, even better when you consider the pricetag.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Should I go passive or active with the pickups?

I mean... thanks for pointing me in the p-bass direction... But that's a pretty large direction! that's 1/2 of Fender's bass's.

thanks!

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    And as far as you said "solid low end" I want something that's really smooth, and mellow. I'm aware that fretless would be the way to go for this... But I don't want to have to worry about getting my fingers in the "EXACT" spot.

thanks.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    hah, forgot to add... I'd be nice if it where under $700...

I do have a lot of money invested in bass... And I'm looking to sell my '71 tube music master (I think that's what it was) head... and my Ibanez Sound Gear... And hopfully have enough money for this bass from the money I get from the two of them.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    blah... I REALLY need help here. hah.

I play lots of ska type stuff... The p-bass you sent me to... the sample of it sounds like it gets a lot of highs... I want something more mellow... That sounds like it's straining to produce highs... (more of a low mid instead of highs) I can do it with my Danelectro Hodad bass... But I feel that I can get a cleaner low sound... I want something still mellow and all... Is the only way to get this sound to give in and get a fretless? and if so... What kind?

Like I said before, I only have about $600 to spend (well... just as long as it's not like $700)

And yeah, I got the flatwound part down...

thanks for everyone who's helped already... but I need more! hehe

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'll just post a clip of myself playing... so you can get a good idea of what I mean... Keep in mind I want something that sounds cleaner though... And lower!

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    ahh... It wouldn't let me post it as an attachment... Sorry...

Would the "Fender p-bass Special" be a bad idea?

If I were to get something fretless, what would/should it be for smooth low end?

17. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    the ONLY way to truly find out the best for low end is to try out as many as you can.

18. roll the treble off your amp....instant low's..no clicks..,no noise.just fat,tubby,dub-like tone....or maybe you just want a NEW BASS.a Fender p bass is a good choise...timeless tone that has been on more recordings than any other bass in history(next would have to be a jazz bass)does Motown ring any bells?? a very fat sound indeed.dub and regge players also like it for it's thick low's.If you have the cash get the american model(nice features:graphite re-enforced neck,string thru body bridge,ultra-lite tuners,better eletronics and p\u's)but if you are on a budget a Mexican made is VERY NICE for the money(depending on where you live...U.S or abroad??).A Mexican made(standard p-bass) can be had for $300. in the U.S. thats a lot of bang for the buck...well I hope this helps...happy shopping:)

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to agree that if anything is a "legend for Lowend" it is the Fender Precision and this is the very reason why it has retained its popularity over so many years.

From what has been said - i.e. no clicking etc - my advice would be to avoid active models (specials etc.) and go for the standard, passive, "made in USA" model. But I do agree that you need to try basses out and see what sounds right to you.

20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Actually the reason a P-bass sounds so huge is its low mid character, not real low end.
    I disagree with Bruce here. An active bass generally offers more overall signal bandwidth, highs and lows! I won't get into technical detail here, but almost every active bass offers more low end than a passive P, e.g. a good MM StingRay.
    And you have to put the amp/speaker factor in your thinking. What's the use of a bass with super lows when your amp system can't reproduce it? Also, too much low end is usually a hassle onstage, especially for the sound guy who has to keep it in control...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.