Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

legion sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by notabob, Jul 20, 2004.

1. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
  2. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    lol, yeah. man, i wish avatar would make a 610 or an 810. i dont care if shipping would be an arm and a leg.

3. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    $295 buy-it-now + $200 "trucking to your door" :eek: =$500 which is what you should be able to find a used Ampeg for locally. Or even look at a Peavey 810 which sell for $350-$400 used and would sound much better than this.

It's not that great of a deal, especially after the freight charge. :meh:

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Legion SOund, Madison. etc. are all made in China and are what you would expect from such a low price - cheap materials, cheap construction, etc.

I bought a pair of "Sequence" Pa speakers for 150.00 for the pair because I needed something cheap, quick. They are the down-firing models with the 15" speaker/2 tweeter/1 horn config and I didn't expect anything great. They did/do the job *adequately*, but you can really see why they were only 150.00 for the pair - particle board construction, cheap felt covering attached with cheap glue, lots of exposed glue, etc. - you get the drift. Let's just say that they are a "temporary fix" for our current PA setup.

So here's the deal - if you're looking for a new cab to last you a while and be THE cab for you, you're looking in the wrong direction. In fact, at that price, you're looking in the wrong direction, period. If you only need something temporary and you can find one for DIRT cheap, then it's an option. Just don't expect it to last for too long, especially if you're hauling it to gigs, practice, etc.

The only thing truly "positive" I can say is that Steelsound is actually a pretty standup operation. I actually went to their place of business to pick up the speakers in order to save shipping. The funny thing was, they work out of an unmarked, crappy building that looks like it's probably due to be condemned. However, the people there are quite nice, helpful and responsive. I was impressed by their service, at least.

5. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i already have the cab to hold me off till i find the cab for ME. i was looking into 410s and 412s (particularly ampegs) and i came across this thing. thanks for the input. im definitely not gonna buy one...just curious if anyone had anything good to say about them. on steelsound's site the legion 810 is 399 shipped. they are jacking people off on ebay.

6. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i was considering buying a 210 from them a while ago, since it was only $110. but then i found a used peavey 210 for the $100, only it cost less because of no shipping.

that was a particularly sweet deal, but you get the point, go used and you can find better stuff for not much more.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've some stuff from Steelsound and they are pretty straight up about their products. There's even a faq which tells which stuff is suitable for what job.

8. The company seems to know what they have and they're not trying to market it as anything else. If it wasn't for the crzy shipping I would say you get what you pay for.

FWIW an Avatar b212 for $360 shipped brand new is hard to beat.

9. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I actually use their X-Audio 2x10 for gigs. It has surprising volume and tone for a not known company. I originally bought it until I could afford a GK 4x10 from a local dealer, but let the GK go because I ended up liking the cab.

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i took kazuhanks suggestion to heart and went looking for used 810s and i found a peavey 810tx for $350 so im working on that. the thing with the b212, b210 stack is that i am trying to get a single cab that will suit my needs. im in a hardcore band and i dont have a necessity for tone, just for volume and the movement of air. i think an 810 is my ride but i wont hesitate to fall back on that 210, 212 stack if things dont work out. now that you guys know my situation, suggestions would be cool too. i am also looking into used swr goliath IIIs and ampeg 410s and 412s.

11. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i would say get a stack instead of an 810...they sound good and are everything you'd need, but i know for me personally, i CANNOT transport a cabinet that size, with any of the cars my family own.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I like to combine my X-Audio 2x10 with the Acme Low B2. Sort of a 'Rock & Rumble" Rig.

13. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, the only thing I regret is getting the 8 ohm model. Now I have to buy 2 new cabinets if I want to upsize.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    In my 60's/70's group, I use a Legion Sound 2x10 and the X-Audio thru a Sunn Coliseum 300. The sound matches well with the vintage Ampeg combo and Blues Pearl stack I'm playing against.

15. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    The Peavey for $350 would be sweet. My kid brother had a Peavey 810 and we compared it to one of my Ampeg 810s and they both do the rock thing well. At $350, it's a no brainer for hardcore (especially if you have a truck or something to transport it)!

16. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    the peavey can handle lower frequencies than the ampeg can, which is always a plus when your band decides (against my better judgement) to go drop C. i havent gotten a response back yet, but hopefully it hasnt sold.

17. now is it me, or does the logo on the amp look like a dildo? sorry to throw off the conversation, but it just looks so wrong