1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Legit '92 Rick 4003 or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Oct 1, 2010.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Some might think 4003S due to no binding, but it doesn't have dot inlays? Confusing to say the least...

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a standard Jetglo 4003 with a black pickguard and black trim to me.

TD

3. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    ...but no binding?!

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Usually basses with black hardware/pickguard have black binging. You can't see the binding on the pictures because the bass is black.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you look close at the body pic where the neck meets the body, Look at the side of the neck. You can see the black binding, then fretboard then the black finish on the neck.

6. +1
    It's difficult to see the black binding (trim) in the photo, but it's definately there. I can see it.

TD

7. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Odd! I talked to the store and they say "no binding".

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    then either they don't know what they're talking about, or they're blind.

unbound rics have more rounded edges on the top.

9. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    That is an excellent example of a Rickenbacker 4003 with the black trim option.

It IS bound with black binding. :cool:

10. See if you can get picture of the back of the bass and more detailed of the side so you can see the binding.

Looks legit to me.

11. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Looks legit enough.
    4003 BT (black trim), meaning black binding, hardware, and plastic.
    It has shark fin inlays which denote a deluxe model (IE: not an S model), and the sharp edge on the top indicates that binding is indeed present.
    It should have dual outputs.

'S' models had rounded edges and more contouring in the middle of the body on both front and back edges, single mono outs, and dot inlays. No binding on body or neck.

Black trim used to be a standard option, it certainly was available around this bass' vintage.
    Up close you'll be able to pick out the line where the binding meets the wood around the side of the body.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I must agree, legit 4003 with all black trim. Nice lookin' bass. The shop are obviously ill-informed.