Legitamate criticism?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tekhna, Feb 11, 2005.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    So we were playing a gig last night, reasonably sized, and we played mostly originals. We are a 4 piece band, with our lead singer playing acoustic for almost all the material. Sounds great, blends well with our sound, does everything we need it to. Our lead guitarist is accomplished, tasteful, and not egotistical; we have a pretty good chemistry. So a local session guy drops by, great player, thought he was a nice guy, really into ERBs, but he, seemingly to me last night was a total cock. He lit into me for following the root too much, not having my own style, formulaic bass, etc... You guys know the rant. So I try explain to him that our rhythm guitarist is acoustic, and that he by himself simply cannot bring out the root of the chord. To me playing with an acoustic rhythm guitarist is a very different than playing with an electric guitarist. And it feels to me (and my band mates) that I was by no means riding the root, but accentuating and covering the ground our guitarist couldn't.

Normally I would ignore this kind of criticism, but this is really getting at me and I don't know why. Any opinions? Obviously it is hard to say without listening, but would you guys in general agree with the point that playing with an acoustic guitarist and an electric lead requires a different playing style than all electric?
  2. Meh, Tastes differ. This guy has a different approach to bass than you do and that's fine. You might look up to him as an established bassist but that doesn't mean that you have to agree with him.
    I mean, does you band feel that you're doing the right thing? If so the everything's allright.

Ohh, and yes, that guy does sound a bit like a cock.
  3. I would ignore him...it sounds like he was trying to impose his own style on you, which isn't right. If you and your band are happy with your playing, that is all that matters.

I always get the usual comments..."play like Flea" and junk like that, when that is not my style, and wouldn't fit 99.9% of the songs our band does.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I question the guy's motivation. Was he genuininely trying to help you better your playing or was he just being a showoff?

I often question the motivation of any musician who goes up to another after a gig and procedes to tell him/her how to play better. I think it is seldom done in a true spirit of kindness and desire to help a fellow musician.

Mostly it is done from a position of self-importance, mean-spiritedness and, maybe even envy because you are playing and he isn't. What more is there to think about it? He is saying, "Dude, I know more than you know. I play better than you play. Your playing sucks. My playing is far superior, so I will "kindly" tell you how to improve and be more like I am because I am so darned superior. Yadda, yadda, yadda."

My position is don't offer another musician advice unless they ask for it. If your band is unhappy with your playing, they'll let you know soon enough. There is always some sorehead in the audience who thinks they can do better, but, notice, they are in the audience. YOU are the one in the band playing.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

don't let it get to you.
  6. Personally? ............. I would have "politely' refered him to the TB forums......... especially the recent thread on what would be "the best bass to whack someone over the head with"...... :D

7. He probably just wanted to see you use the ERB a little more, to "show off" with it maybe. He's just probably one of those players that like to talk, and likes to be competitive with other musicians. No malicious intent, the guy just sees it that way and feels you should know. People like that can be frustrating, but I don't think he was trying to insult you.
  8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Hand him the instrument and let him show you how it's done.
    Say "wanna sit in for a set?"
  9. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Any moron can wank. It takes a very diciplined, tastful team player to lay back and do the job that needs to be done. Playing whole notes for 3 minutes and 28 seconds is one heck of a lot harder than people think.
  10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Truer words were never spoken.

On the other hand, wanking is fun, and it can even sound good sometimes. If it's done "in context". :)
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shine it on. The guy's a doo-doo.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sounds like insecurity. I woulda just said "Thanks. Bye."

brad cook