Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Legitimacy of Jensen DI superiority?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Are Jensen DIs objectively better than conventional DIs in the RBI or the SS-BMAX?
    Considering Aguilar or BMAX-T for a significantly better DI. Its hard to go into a store & try these babies through a good P.A.
    I own a Navigator now...
    Thanks

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Don't know about the comparisons but the Jensen in my Demeter is awsome asa recording interface. I generally take the 'D' straight to the aux in and bypass the pre in my Tascam. I haven't had a real chance to evaluate the DI in a live environment. Next week might change that though.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Jensen audio transformers are really top quality. I'm not saying no one else makes transformers that are as good, only that you can't go wrong with them. Jensen offer really extensive application data on their products, so it's easy for an engineer to choose the right transformers for the job.

Bill Whitlock, the president of Jensen, is one of the most knowledgeable and no-BS audio people around, and he's quite generous with sharing knowledge (and does so without making sales pitches). I have immense respect for the guy.

4. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    can someone go into detail on what makes a good D.I? why are some better than others?

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Clean, clear, transparent and HOT. It shouldn't melt channel strips but it should be a very 'present' signal no matter the distance. At the end of the cable, it should sound like my bass. Anything else is just plain wrong...

OK - maybe not wrong. I use my DI in post EQ mode when I'm recording. I use the minimal tone shaping ability of the Demeter and running into the aux inputs, avoiding the channel strip pre.

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Anybody A\Bd the DI from the 2 BBE BMax preamps through a P.A.? Or is that just too ridiculous?
    Actually any Jensen vs regular DI would work as well :)
    Hell it is WAY MORE important than my rig for 95% of my shows.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I used both a demeter pre for a year as well as a countryman Ive had for years for DI purposes. The countryman would be a non-transformer active DI box. Honestly its hard to say if theres much difference. The countryman is absolutely top notch but so is the jensen in the Demeter. I think I would say the Dem DI sounds a little better to me. Maybe a bit more clear or crisp sounding. The easiest thing for you to do would be to get a good standalone DI box instead of getting a different preamp. I think every bassist should have one.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Soundmen say they love
    My Radial JDI
    Jensen all the way

:)

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I find the di on the Navigator quite nice. Engineers seem to like it too. I don't see a need for you to change if you like the Nav...

10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have had Jensen DI's and many others. My thoughts on this and other "quality" topics is this:

For studio recording, I think there could be an audible difference and you want to use the best.

For live gigs, I don't think the difference is enough to notice, especially to a bar full of drunks. You an da few of your friends MAY hear a difference, but...

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A high-quality DI, like any good audio circuit, should have pretty flat frequency response to avoid arbitrary tonal colorings, very low distortion, and a strong enough output signal capability to allow an engineer to maximize the signal-to-noise ratio.

In addition, because it is an interface to another audio system, it must be balanced. The more precisely its output is balanced (i.e., equal impedances to ground from each leg of the balanced line), the better any noise picked up in the cable can be cancelled out by the balanced input on the mixing board. It is very simple to make transformer-coupled outputs very highly balanced, but high-quality transformers with very low distortion, high signal-level capability, and beefy magnettic shielding can be pricey. It is relatively inexpensive to do the same with active electronics, but it requires power and is not as easy to balance precisely.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Alembic preamp
    F-1X is what I have
    Jensen DI, no?

Have the Radial
    Always just used that instead
    But am curious

:)

13. What Secret said.
    In fact, I'm starting to use my Radial JDI all the time, seems like everytime I do compliments flow. I'm fortunate that ALL of my gear is top notch and sounds great, but by going from my Sadowsky straight into the JDI to the Mix sounds great. I had the same results with my Lakland USA Joe Passive. IF you've got a great sounding instrument the 'less' undisturbed signal going "straight in" seems to bring out the very best. At least, that's my take on it.

14. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

Yup, I have both of them racked up at my studio, waiting for someone to come in wanting to use them (the noise floor on 'em bugs me). I personally tested them through my PA, and found that there are too many differences to just focus on the Jensen transformer.

I'll also say that I have yet to hear anyone complain about any Radial DI, ever, except possibly that it hadn't arrived in the mail fast enough :)

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually, no. i don't recall the alembic being a jensen di.

IMO, the jensen units (like my old demeter 201) had the best sound out there. For a good read, go to the effects forum and do a search for favorite di. there's a big thread in there named something like "what's your favorite DI?", with all kinds of useful info. In particular, the comments by max valentino seem to be very informative.