Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lehigh Valley (PA) Area

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 16, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. Who lives in the Lehigh Valley? I'm going to school in Bethlehem and am wondering if there's anyone cool around here to meet for lunch or dinner and discuss gear and stuff.

2. Can you recommend a good local tech? This is home 9 months out of the year, so I gotta start looking out for my gear out here too. Need a bit of fretwork done on my Strat.

2. I'm less than 2 hours north in Lackawanna County.

best I could offer. :)

3. Guitar Villa (like 10-12 minutes out from Moravian) does pretty good work. They have a Martin guy come in and do it for them. Be warned, though- they are pricy. If you want to check out Sadowsky, Aguilar, sometimes BagEnd or some other high end brands, they generally have some in. Another shop to consider is Dave Phillips, over on Union Blvd.

I'm down in Bethlehem every so often- my mother still lives there, so I go down to visit and hit up the shops.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I know Guitar Villa. Tried to get a job there and was the leading applicant until I told them I couldn't work during Christmas break (even though I walked in the store knowing more about the gear on the shelves than they did) and yes they were a bit pricy. That's what I was afraid of.

Also heard of Dave Phillips, might just take it there. Some of my Jersey friends drive out here for his work.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If you're ever in State College, check out Alley Cat. It's not very big, but the guys are pretty cool and they have a good selection of G&Ls.

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Where are you going? Lehigh?
    I looked there, but decided the whole on-a-hill thing just isnt me... plus its a little too close to home. Good bye NYC GTG's next year
    : (

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Moravian College. 2 Miles north of Lehigh. I came back for the NYC GTG, I think you could too.

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Most of the schools I applied to are on some other extreme end of the country (mostly west).

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I live about 20 minutes from Bethlehem....guitar Villa is about it for gear . I know a great guitar tech. PM me for info...

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I just went by Guitar Villa on my way to Sauderton this week. Been to Sauderton three times and finally happened to notice the place this week. (We are talking about the place right off of highway 309, right??)

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Souderton >? I live in Souderton!

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There's two of them, but I believe the one in Bethlehem is the one you speak of.

Small world. LOL.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their is some great white water rafting in that area when it gets warmer Tim.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I used to raft on the Lehigh every summer a bit upstream of here.

Good times.

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    You're going to Moravian then ?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, studying under Paul Rostock. He loves his KSD.

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Music Major ?

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Minor. Majoring in business management.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, cool. i used to live in allentown (went to allen high school for 9th grade then moved down to ga.) i miss it up there, loved the whole abe area (born in hazleton, up 309)

i think zulufunk is from up around those parts, not sure though.

any folks on the board know anyone who went to allen high school and graduated in '86? that was my class, lost touch with most of my friends a long time ago :(.