Leland Sklar - Bass Player Sept 04!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spanky, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Anyone else read this interview? I have recently become a busy session player, (don't know how it happened, really), so this article was a real inspiration for me! What hit home with me the most is when he said, "I get up each day with as much insecurity as any other person who picks up an instrument". I have been struggling with suddenly finding myself playing with some heavy hitting artists, and I have those moments where I look around the studio and go "when did I advance to this level?" and feel kind of an inferiority compared to the people Im playing with. To hear Leland, a very in demand bassist with over 2,000 albums in his resume, broach the subject was like a breath of fresh air. Ive always admired the guy, but now I have a whole new level of respect!
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    The September issue is out already? Hmm... I haven't gotten mine yet.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, it's a good article. Leland rocks the Dingwalls and Euphonic Audio...he's old school with a new school flavor.

brad cook
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love that new Yamaha that he helped design. Sklar cracks me up saying he's not a chops player. He could have fooled me on few occasions. :bassist:
  5. hey there fellow denverite! when is your next show?
    i wonder why i havn't got my BP yet :confused:
  6. I dunno..sounds like I got lucky? Your mailman isnt a fellow bassist, eh? Lol! We (Eleventh Hour) are finishing up a full length CD and are, I guess youd say, kind of being courted by A&M records...but it does look like there is a Gothic Theater gig in the works for Oct.....and its a little premature but I may have landed a pretty busy payed gig with a rockin' blues trio out of Longmont, Du4Roux. The lady that fronts it plays a killer mean guitar and is from New Orleans, (as am I...Im a "transplant", lol) so we really hit it off both musically and as "homies", hehe...http://www.du4roux.com so looks like things will be picking back up as far as the live shows go. I had shoulder surgery in June and it kind of held things up for a little while. How about you Adam> Where and when are ya playing next?

Yeah..I laughed about Lelands "Chops" comment as well! I hope I lack as much "chops" as he thinks he does! Hahaha!
  7. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    You may also know about this interview with Lee. It's a good one

He's a very self-effacing kind of guy. Makes you wonder if he's not got some Monkish eccentricities.
    What amazed me was his comment that he plays mostly with two fingers on his fretting hand because of some accidents with machine work!

Didn't Gibson make a Lee Sklar model for a while?
  8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Yeah, I picked up on the fingers part with awe. Over the years I've struggled with arthritis and the possibility that I may someday have to play pickstyle only. In my weaker moments, I find myself wondering if I'd still be a "real" bassist then and if I'd still consider myself a "good" bassist.

Then you hear Sklar and others talk about how they not only overcame their adversities in becoming monster players, but also turned them into strengths and part of their "signature sound".

That's SO inspiring to me and brings home the fact that nothing can take away your ability to make beautiful music except a loss of will.
  9. Very good points ya'll have there! I had never really paid much attention, but Im mostly a 2 finger player as well...but plenty quick on the draw with them. It is inspiring to hear of such heavy hitters playing with similar technique. And the "self-effacing" and sheer humility of Leland is one of the things I admire the most about him. To hear him admit that he still struggles with insecurity realy helped to douse some of my own fires, lol!
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Shows to go ya' --- Frankenbasses sometimes turn out great.

Of course, in his hands, a Rogue probably sounds great.

Also, I think it shows - the bigger they are, the more humble they are. There's not one word of arrogance in how he describes himself and his talent.
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hey Spanky - I live in Longmont and I jammed with that chick (her old band was named "Blue Roux") one time over at my house (a year and a half ago or so). She DOES play a mean guitar and she is a VERY cool chick!
  12. Right on bro! Drop me a PM or an email if ya want...I know weve connected once or twice before here at TB...but it'd be cool to swap some stories w/ ya!
    Yeah Im hoping to hear back from her by the weekend, I do have other projects going on but I hadnt had so much fun playing w/ anyone in a long time! Was Jimmy Yozell playing drums for her then?

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
  14. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Lee Sklar is so awesome. I love his anecdotes, especially the famous Producer Switch story. :D

And the beard, man, the beard! Some time ago I saw where someone photoshopped his beard onto Tony Levin's noggin. That was extremely disturbing.
  15. Yes sir!

Leland is a true legend, and a true look!
  16. Im afraid I hadnt heard about the Producer Switch? And that beard....I wonder what you'd find in there? Hahaha!
  17. I'd love to able to make my own "frankenstien bass"

I'll look for that Gothic show :)

My last band, about a yaer ago, played hermans a bunch a times. right now i'm trying to put something together.
  18. shwan81

Feb 19, 2004
    the producer switch story is kind of funny. i remember reading about this in an really old issue of bass player (1992 i think). the story goes something like this. basically, Leland took a lesson from a gig he was once on. the soundman kept asking the guitarist (i can't remember who it was) to give him a different sound. so the guitarist ends up bending over like he was getting a new guitar, unbeknownst to the soundman that he was still keeping the same guitar. then when he starts playing, the soundman loves his "new" guitar/sound. so what lee did was, he drilled a hole into his bass and installed a toggle switch. but this switch is not connected to anything and does nothing. so when producers ask him to give them a different sound, he just flips the switch. the producers end up giving him a thumbs up.

also, about gibson making sklar model, it seems as if they didn't sell many and it got discontinued. but here is a pic of lee with it. it's just like his frankenstein bass. alder body, 2 p-style emgs, in reverse jazz position, d-tuner, ect. i'm not sure about the mandolin frets though. i have a couple pics of them, but i'm new to all this and am not sure how to post pics. i press this insert image button, but then i get lost. if someone could help, that would be great.

i'm a huge fan of leland sklar from what i've heard, although i would have to say that i want to hear more of his stuff. i know all his work with steven curtis chapman, phil collins, james taylor. i've heard some of his stuff with cobham, esp stratus. is there any other work that i should be familiar with? i would say him and abe laboriel are my favorites. others can have their victor wootens, but i love those session players!
  19. ahkiatt

Sep 30, 2006
    Anyone knows where I can find that interview on the web?

I've recently become a fan of him! :hyper: