1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Submission Leland Sklar / Phil Collins - Against all odds (Live 1990)

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Henrik Horneber, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Even if you know and hate the song, go watch the video. It's worth it.

This is in a different key than the studio version. Apparently the studio version uses synthies and strings for bass.

There's weird (to me at least) fingering in a couple of places. They all feel comfortable when I tried them. Before looking at how Mr Sklar does it exactly I could not nail the slide into the 11th fret. Using his fingering makes it a lot easier to really get the vibrato going strong and immediately.

The slide together with the ternary 32th in bar 38 are the obvious eye catchers, but for me the f-sharp pedal tone and its rhythmic variations is the one highlight. It's just so masterfully crafted and played. Overall his style of playing really remind me of double bass.

55 bpm is an unusually slow tempo and precise rhythm proved challenging. Go try it, it's not complicated - just difficult.

This is the first transcription I uploaded anywhere. I'm thankful for all suggestions and comments. I'll also put the lilypond source on github as soon as I get to it.

Attached Files:

TinIndian, martinc, wschenk and 10 others like this.
  2. I've cleaned up the presentation considerably.

Attached Files:

LeeNunn and Seanmo like this.
  3. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Thumbs up for lilypond reference!

I used that for my books, until I found Music21. Lilypond is very powerful.

Henrik Horneber likes this.
  4. Thanks for the pointer towards music21. Not sure what to make of it, but it looks interesting - my python allergy notwithstanding.

5. Henrick: Thanks a million for posting this video. No matter what style of music Lee Sklar plays, he excels in taste and timing. A true master of the BG.
    For a long time and despite some excellent tabs I have collected, I have struggled to figure out what he is doing. I gave up trying to steal individual licks from his recordings. Without the rest of his wonderful playing style to go with them, I can't do them justice in any other setting.
    For me, Lee Sklar's playing is best looked at and enjoyed in the context of his overall musical approach to a particular song. This video is a classic example of that.

6. Very well said! Could not agree more.

7. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    Thanks for posting the video as I’d never seen that. What a class act he is and has always been, always putting the priority on playing for the song.

Not sure where the audio from that video came from (board or camera) but such a great representation of his warm but articulate tone.
    To this day I still put on the JT Never Die Young album and play along from beginning to end just so I can experience being part of that. So tasteful.

8. Lee Sklar is such a dominating player with James Taylor that it's easy to forget Jimmy Johnson......another great bass player who has played for James Taylor for decades along with and a long list of other big name artists. And his bass work still shone when he played with Steve Gadd!

9. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    Certainly no disrespect to JJ. I know even after all these years even he has stated that he feels he’s still subbing for LS.