Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lemme get this right...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, May 28, 2002.

1. turning the truss rod <- that way loosens it
    turning the truss rod -> tightens it?

thanks just a simple yes or no shalld o

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    On a single action truss rod, yes... Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty :D

-robert

3. okay then how come my neck kept getting MORE relief when i was turning the rod to MY right

and then my neck was like ultra straight after about 2 turns to my left!

its a washburn xb125 if you wondering...i doubt it has a double action truss

4. Because before you began turning the trussrod, the neck was already straight or nearly straight. You over adjusted it by turning to the right.

You relaxed the tension and the strings didn't have enough pull to keep it in the "over adjusted" position.

If I've read your post correctly:)

5. never heard that....

but the neck wasnt anywhere near straight when i started adjusting...

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Sunspots!!

Seriously though... whenever making truss rod adjustments, a fair rule of thumb is no more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn in a 24 hour period... I realize that this seems overly cautious, but better to err on the conservative side. Your neck is made of wood and needs time to 'settle in' after truss rod adjustments. I happen to like some amount of relief in my necks and tend to play with a fairly high action...

Just to re-iterate... patience is key... Take your measurement... make a 1/4 to 1/2 turn adjustment... tune to pitch... play for awhile, then let her sit 'til tomorrow... Lather, rinse, repeat :) I've broken truss rods, (2), repaired broken truss rods, (4, with two more currently on the bench...), and neither is very much fun... Takes a lot longer to repair than to do right in the first place!!!

-robert