1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lemme get this straight...using FX loop on my amp head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ellery, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    I have been using a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB amp head for almost 10 yrs now, and have never used the effects loop. Only in the past 2 years did I add a Carl Martin compressor/limiter to the instrument cable. Otherwise I rely on the head itself which gives good sound. But now that I have been considering using chorus, eq, or distortion/overdrive pedals, I wonder if I should use the effects loop or if that is meant more for something like a line-level effects processor such as a DSP256. Would cranking too much gain from an eq or distortion pedal back into the loop cause damage? Is it more vulnerable than the pre-amp? Should a genuine overdrive pedal only be used on the input or is it ok for the effects loop as well?

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    My impression is that the FX loop works best with rack mount effects and pedals work best into the bass input.

=wr=

Ellery and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  3. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

+1
    While the loop can come in handy for "some" pedals, many loops, are only 50% signal mix (meaning it's in parallel, meaning the loop, has the same signal strength as the "Dry" signal sent to the power section. Net effect is a 50/50 mix of signal and effect.

Ellery likes this.
  4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    The manual for the th500 addresses this specifically. It says pedals should be used before the input. Rack effects usually have 4dB levels and should be used in the FX loop.

Ellery likes this.
  5. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    As already mentioned, effects pedals provide instrument level output to send to an amp's instrument input. FX loops usually work at higher levels so the pedal may or may not work well.

However, it won't do any harm to try it.

Ellery likes this.
  6. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I use this amp and just run my pedal board (tuner, OD, Comp, octave, chorus, Flanger) all through the regular Input. Sounds great.

Ellery likes this.
  7. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Thank you guys for the responses, they did help.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I hate effect loops in amps and I never use them ever. At best, they sound the same as they do in the input. But that's at best. Most of the time, performance is degraded.

Ellery likes this.
  9. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    It sounds like you've just tried a few effects pedals both in line and through the effects loop and made up your mind from that.
    But some effects, especially rack mount effects, need a line level to sound good.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Ellery likes this.