1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lemmy is my new favorite bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by soundgardenis, Oct 5, 2010.

1. soundgardenis

soundgardenis

Oct 4, 2010
    I've been writing my own material lately on bass because I'm at the stage of the game where I'm tired of playing along with records and my approach is fast simple punk heavy sounding riffs. I listen to a lot of "grunge" and I like Sabbath as well as The Beatles, The Kinks, The Stone Roses etc... I also like the Ramones but Motorhead is just like made for me man. Lemmys basslines are fast heavy and aggresive. He almost brings a heavy punk vibe to the group while the other guy has that sick rock n roll guitar. I really dig it. I'm stoked. Before I even really knew who Lemmy was I had a similar style. I remember I bought this old bassman amp. I turned everything up to full to the point where my walls were literally shaking. I played with a pick near the bridge and just attacked it was awesome. Now I live in an apartment so I can't do that. I think Lemmy's approach to bass playing is awesome.

ScotRFM likes this.
  2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Have you ever checked out Hawkwind, from earlier in Lemmy's career?

3. soundgardenis

soundgardenis

Oct 4, 2010
    I've seen videos of them performing with a giant naked woman. I heard they got a number one after Lemmy hopped on vocals.

4. soundgardenis

soundgardenis

Oct 4, 2010
    I think I put this in the wrong thread. Sorry.

5. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    Lemmy is not only a great bassist, he's a really cool guy.
    Motorhead is a beast. :)

6. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    Yeah, the tick-tacky super theory guys don't really like him, but for shear power,passion, entertainment and expression

There is Lemmy

and then everybody else.

ScotRFM likes this.
  7. soundgardenis

soundgardenis

Oct 4, 2010
    There are hard rock bassist like Geezer Butler who really grooves and is all over the place and then there are guys like Lemmy who just lay the cards on the table.

He turns it up to 13.

danesdad likes this.
  8. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I thought he played guitar in Hawkwind..... or was that a different band? That guy has been in the scene forever

9. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    240484139_871e431699_o.jpg

The guy that replaced him in Hawkwind also now has his own band very similar to Motorhead called (IIRC) Gunslinger. Good tunes.

10. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Can you believe that anyone could actually get kicked out of Hawkwind due to drug use. When I listen to those old records I would think that it was required. That's some trippy stuff to put it mildly.

11. Wow, I have had two perfect opportunities to post this great Lemmy pic today -- enjoy!

Lemster.jpg

12. ^ They shoulda put one of those little star reflection thingies on that coco puff on his face.

13. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    LEMMY IS GOD. Haven't you read the Bible dude? Hawkwind did a shizload of drugs. Lemmy was into speed, they were into LSD. He got busted at the border of Canada with Hawkwind while he was asleep and had speed in a baggie. The Canucks thought it was coke and Hawkwind kicked him out.

Speed don't kill and I'm the proof....Just call me Snaggletooth.

14. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    A buddy of mine met Lemmy in an elevator in L.A. He asked Lemmy, "When is the new album going to be out?"

Lemmy replied, "When the last note is played."

ScotRFM likes this.
  15. Lemmy's early work in Hawkwind is really good. I'm a big Hawkwind fan (in my top 5) and they've had a lot of good Rick-playing bassists. Strongly recommend some of the stuff like Space Ritual and Hall of the Mountain Grill.

I got a chance to meet him after a gig many years ago and busted out some Hawkwind stuff for him to sign. He got wistful for a sec and commented that it was a good band. It was a cool moment the only downside is that I missed most of Dio's show waiting for him to come out of the bus.

ScotRFM likes this.
  16. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    When Chuck Norris goes to bed at night, he checks under his bed to make sure Lemmy isn't there to kick his ass!

One

Freaking love lemmy
    So minimalist and so great and what he does, being freaking lemmy.

ScotRFM likes this.
  17. He used to be a roadie Hendrix for a while too, he was in the studio for most/all of the Axis Bold As Love sessions

18. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Lemmy used to come down to The Marquee In London to hang out now and again, a former band I played with had a residency there, he used to play the slot machines on speed for most the night apparently : )

19. jordy_on_bass

jordy_on_bass

Jul 6, 2010
    Australia
    Lemmy originally played guitar in a band called Sam Gopal's Dream, but he was absolutely terrible. He was recommended to Hawkwind as a bassist but he didn't own a bass.
    Lemmy as a person is a phenomena, All these years of drinking, smoking and speeding haven't really slowed him down. I reckon if he stopped everything he did, he would probably drop dead. He is a pretty cool bass player, maybe not the most technical in the world but has definitely developed his own unique style.

Cheers,
    Jordan

20. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Lemmy was gonna audition for Hawkwind as a guitarist, but when he turned up, the previous bassist was AWOL and had left his gear behind, so he auditioned for bass. But kept plying as if it was a guitar...

The "giant naked lady" was Stacia, a dancer who they used as part of their stage show. IIRC, she's something like 6'2''.

Lemmy played guitar not only in Sam Gopal's dream, but also had a lot of note in The Rocking Vicars.

For me, the best Hawkwind was with Lemmy, but the Calvert era is superb as well (High-bloody-rise!).

In short, Lemmy is God.