Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lemmy Kilmister...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fat jonny, Oct 12, 2000.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I started listening to Motorhead a few years ago and I can never get over How cool some of Lemmy's bass parts are. The vocals are also really cool and unique. I also noticed that he helped write songs with Ozzy. I can't believe he doesn't get more respect as a bass player/song writer/singer. what do you folks think?

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i love lemmy and motorhead, not necessarily for his playing, but because he is a true rocker. i was fortunate enough to hang out with him backstage on the recent tour and he was cool, drunk as hell, but cool. HIs quote for the night was "bring me some black whores!" too funny.

his style is pretty cool. nothing fancy, nothing supertechnical, but it works.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    What a truly wonderful reason to admire someone as a musician...Because he was drunk and wanted some "black whores". :D

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I saw Motorhead on the Overkill tour (that dates me, the last album I had was Ace of Spades then I grew up I listened to real music) Lemmy's style from observation and mag interviews is a cross between guitar and bass ( he played guitar in Hawkwind) using double stops and chords with a plectrum (pick). He used a maple ric when I saw him live.

Thats enough anecdotal drivel for today :)

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    did i say I admired him for those reasons? :rolleyes: :D

Lemmy is Lemmy. HE hasn't changed who/what he is in 25 years (OK, maybe a little uglier without facial hair tehse days), that I respect.

being a drunk? no. wanting black whores? maybe a little...the ones they brought in were pretty hot! hehe

Rock on brother beavis.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Long ago...after Ozzy parted ways with Black Sabbath...We went to see him on his first tour...and Motorhead opened up for him. Well, everyone was there to see "Ozzy..Ozzy..Ozzy"!
    Motorhead started their set and people just kept chanting louder and louder..."OZZY...OZZY...OZZY!" They had to stop a couple of times and finally Lemmy says " Shut up! We're the greatest metal band in the world!" NOT a good idea to a Detroit crowd...:)
    Well...that was it. The booing grew to such a frenzy that Motorhead left the stage and we had to wait an hour and 1/2 for Ozzy to finally come out.
    Yep...Lemmy IS Lemmy...:D

7. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Saw Motorhead a few years ago, man are they LOUD! :D

And that Lemmy, he's gotta be 153 years old with the biggest pants bulge I beleive I've ever seen!! :D:D

Sorry, had to throw that one in.

8. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    lemmy's first mistake was saying he was metal! hahaha

he DOES have a way with words..."I wish I was pretty" from Decline Western Civilation, The MEtal Years

9. Hi Jennifer

I am a recent Lemmy convert as was into other stuff during the 80's. He hasn't done bad for a vicars son has he? Saw a programme on tv last night about the making of Ace of Spades. Lemmy is educated, articulate, not pretty but soooo charismatic. I'll leave safe suburbia UK and run off with him anytime but then again he may be a bit too wild for me!! :meh:

10. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Yeah, my favourite quote from him was when someone asked him about his warts. He said i might get them removed, but i'm certainly not going to sell them on ebay.

That was a cracker, i think someone has that as their signature.

11. Living in the US as he does (correct me if wrong) I think he is a refreshing change to the scenery of beautiful people. He is a total natural and represents the UK well as not giving a monkeys about superficial rubbish.

12. ...but may I add in the defence of the beautiful people and not wishing to cause offence, the two women draped over him in the back of his car were very beautiful. But then hey - he's Lemmy - kid in a sweetshop and all that. Who can blame the geeza?

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Lemmy does have some decent chops. I really like the solo on "Stay Clean" not that flashy, but it feels just right. Melodic enough while performing the duties of a rock bassline at the same time.

If I had to pick one person to define rock it would be Lemmy and bonus - He's a bassist :bassist:

14. He's also a biy of a walking miracle. Both he and Ozzy have lived the hard rock life and Lemmy is still looking marvellous. Ozzy is having somewhat of a revival over here and so he should, he was another true great. Something in the voices as well as the playing in both these groups that makes them timeless.

15. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    imagine if there was a tv show called the Kilmeisters. that would be the best.

16. Lemmy plays bass like a guitar and that's what makes him fairly unique, when you couple it with his set-up. Plus he just keeps on going!

I was on the Student's Union at my local college in 1977 and we got what was the Lemmy / Fast Eddie / Philthy Animal line-up of Motorhead for a mere £400 and they turned up at lunchtime, bearing bottles of Southern Comfort, which they passed around and were absolute gents to everyone.

:bassist:

17. Lucky lucky 12stringbassist!! The colleges rocked in the 70's for seeing great people. I saw Ian Drury, The Clash and other bands at that time at various colleges. Never saw Lemmy but back then he probably would have scared me stiff. Only now I've got older and harder I think he's a pussycat. Well, not quite, but a well educated and eloquent man. Hi to Manchester by the way. Hope all u Manx had a great Xmas! :)

18. By the way can someone tell me how to edit my profile? I didn't bother to fill any details in originally but I see am classed as male and am definitely not. I'd also like to put my location in. Cheers.

19. Done it. ;)

20. Lemmy's playing style is right on for the music he does. He fills in here and there without going overboard and holds it all in place. For an excellent read, check out his book "WHITE LINE FEVER". I don't remember laughing out loud while reading for along time. And I agree with all who say "Lemmy is Rock 'n Roll" There are more famous bands, better players, but no-one can hold a match to the man who invented the Rock 'n Roll lifestyle that so many try to copy, and end up getting burned...ie Motley Crue, or any other band that can't handle being on the road, drinking til the cows come home, and doing enough drugs to kill a normal man. Actually his birthday was on Christmas eve, 1945...59 years old...I can't believe he is still going, hell, he'll probably never stop.