Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sanctum, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Just got home from seeing Motorhead and Morbid Angel.

Morbid Angel was so-so. Their bassist (who also sings) barely plays - and his volume was non-existant. I havent kept up with them over the years, but the old stuff I knew was kick-*ss. I'm not sure who the bassist actually is any more, maybe its Jared Anderson.

Motorhead, of course, ruled. Lemmy is just fantastic, especially considering the road years and his age. When I was in high school, I lived in Holland, and it seems every two months we saw Motorhead, as they toured constantly. Seeing them now is like seeing them then. I love his Ric's and his Marshall stacks. A true rock n' roller. And he can sing and play and make you feel it, instead of posing. They must still be the loudest band you can ever see - but its GOOD loud :D

I must sleep now

2. "Who'd win in a fight Lemmy or God?"
    "Trick question, Lemmy is God"

What are some of your favorite album's of theirs? I've been wanting to get into motorhead recently.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I loved Ace of Spades, and am just to lazy (aka broke) to further explore their stuff...
  4. All the old stuff:

Ace of Spades
    Iron Fist

Live at Hammersmith (Live, A Classic!)
    Everthing Louder Than Everything Else (Live, Newer)

Oh yea, On Parole is a great album, but early and kind of different from what people think of Motorhead.

There are also a ton of Motorhead compilation cd's out there, put out during the years Motorhead was in contract disputes with their label.

Another great cd is Bastards, but it was only released in Germany I think, due to said disputes.

5. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    *timmy voice in my wheelcheer*
    *timmy voice off*

anyway.. yeah... LEmmy rulz. =D
    he plays chords i think in some of his stuff...
    check it damage case =D i love that joint
  6. g.a.p

Apr 9, 2002
    i had the album "another perfect day" does anyone remember the song "i got mine?
  7. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I saw them on the Overkill tour fossil that I am.

Lemmy himself admits that he uses (his words) "b*st*rdised guitar playing" he played guitar in Hawkwind and Motorhead started out as a three piece. Whilst I wouldn't play that way (by choice) it's a very efficient way of getting a full sound in a three piece as well as being easier to sing over.

Ace of Spades gets my vote as best album
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - Lemmy is not really a bass player, he just plays rhythm guitar on a bass. I think he is probably the worst possible example (in every way) for any aspiring bass players - which is probably why people like him! ;)

Oh and if you try to sing like that you'll probably also ruin your voice in a very short time!
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Lemmy plays the bass, so he's a bass player. his style is really rhythmic, that's true. i like his music, his style and how he plays. the new album "Hammered" kicks ass once again:

i like him because his unique, and his playing style is one of the most significant to me. he's out of the choir. i prefer lemmy to all the guys that copycat and mock jaco and call themselves bassplayer. he's a good songwriter too. if you doubt about his style listen to his work with hawkwind too.

no bull5hit just great, loud, raw rock'n roll

and not to speak about that wonderful signature bass he has from rickenbacker equipped with 3 humbuckers!
  10. yea really, to say Lemmy is not a bass player simply because he has a different style is ridiculous.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Well as CS points out, the man himself has said this and would you want to argue with Lemmy!! :D

There's an interview with Motorhead here :

And a quote :

"PHIL: And also the sound is not exactly as clear as a lot of other bands because of the way Lemmy plays bass. He plays it like a rhythm guitar and he also likes a very trebly sort of "clappy sort of sound. The most bassy, bottomy sounds you hear are the tom-toms and the kick drums because Lemmy's sound is more really like a horrible sort of screeching, scratchy rhythm guitar with lots of bass on it, rather than like a bass guitar.

Q: So he doesn't play off you, and you're left carrying the rhythm section.

PHIL: Well, once Lemmy starts playing, he's sort of out there on his own, in a way. It's something that came naturally; but when Robbo joined the band, we started working it out a bit more. When Eddie was with the band I played more with the guitar than I did with Lemmy, because he's not really a bass player. Lemmy always plays so fast that it's always been down to the guitarist and me to keep the rhythm and melody going. Lemmy is just non-stop playing all the time, so for the highs and lows of the numbers, the ups and downs, light and shade--whatever you want to call it--it's basically down to Robbo and myself. I'd never played much before, so it's probably a lot more difficult for Robbo than for me. He'd always played in bands that had a proper bass player, so to speak."
  12. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Bruce you amaze me. :D
  13. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I couldn't agree more... Lemmy is a horrible bass player... but fairly entertaining for what he does.
  14. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio

Just because you don't like his style do you think "horrible" is a fair comment? I realize that it is just an opinion and I'm not offended :p BUT I just think it is a bit snobbish to say that anyone is horrible at anything.

...and yes I have a Motorhead tattoo AND a Rickenbacker 4004LK (Lemmy Edition) on order:p :eek: :D :p
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Well if his own drummer and guitarist don't think he's a "proper" bass player, then "horrible" is probably quite mild! ;)

I think Lemmy would take this is a compliment anyway - I think he's aiming for "horrible" !!

I have seen Lemmy on loads of TV programmes in the UK and I think you have to realise that us Brits are quite happy to make fun of ourselves and Lemmy definitely trades on his image of being : ugly, nasty, obnoxious and the sort of person you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley! :eek:

I think he wants his overall sound to be offensive and "horrible" if you like! ;)
  16. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I was playing at a club that used to be on St. Marks in NYC called Coney Island High a few years ago, looked up and there he was : Lemmy about 6 feet in front of me. That'll make you drop your pick (not that I should be using one in the first place, of course. Sin against God and all that). I mean, it's like looking up and Scooby and Shaggy are there, or the Easter Bunny (with a big goiter). You just don't expect to see these mythical charecters in real life- and he was wearing exactly the same outfiit he wore in "Decline Of Western Civilization" with the bullet belt.

Anyway, so we were playing pinball together and he said some nice things about the band and stuff (and we're completely candy- assed compared to Motorhead, so I was pleasantly surprised) and I say to him "Lemmy, you know, I think you're underrated as a bass player" and he pauses for about 9 seconds and says "I'm not sure that's possible, actually." Good one, Lemmy.
  17. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    bwahahahaha!!! That's bad ass. :)

I love interviews with him, he is great to listen to because of his attitude and opinions about things (music, the world in general, whatever).

I do enjoy listening to Motorhead in small doses. Just because I think someone is a no-talent bassist doesn't necessarily mean I don't enjoy their particular splendor. :)
  18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I must agree with Bruce...Lemmy definitely isn't a good idol.

However, his tone is really unique and they make interesting music. I can't fault someone for being different; individuality is a great thing.

Hey Beermonkey, were you at Mike Lull's shop within the last week or two?