lemon ginger tea for soreness - go figure!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pcake, Nov 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    a few years ago i noticed that the soreness from my workouts went away if i drank a cup of lemon ginger tea daily. i had been drinking the tea because i like it (stash makes my favorite), and the results were a big plus, but somehow i stopped drinking it regularly over time.

i've been drinking that tea again for the last month, and this morning i noticed that all my more chronic pain - wrist, hip and shoulder pain that is always with me - seems to be 90% gone, as if i'm on pain meds but without any meds. i've been taking glucosamine, which i hadn't believed in but did work, but not to this degree. and what i also noticed was that pain in areas i aggravate is going away much more quickly, like days instead of weeks or months.

how cool is that!

Gazman, Stumbo, T_Bone_TL and 7 others like this.
  2. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

3. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon

The answer to all of life's problems is usually a certain kind of tea.

--^@

Gazman, Stumbo, pcake and 1 other person like this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    that reminds me of old zen comics. no matter what the problem, the older monk's suggestion was always "have a cup of tea" :D

Chicory Blue likes this.
  5. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Maybe everyone should have listened!! :roflmao:

blastoff99 and pcake like this.
  6. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I've noticed the same thing, it's because ginger is an anti-inflammatory. With honey it's also great for a sore throat.

Ginger beer is also good in the summer (and tastes great with rum)

pcake likes this.
  7. It is even better if applied externally. Be sure to use extra sugar.

Will_White and pcake like this.
  8. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I really like ginger beer, but had not thought of ginger tea. It sounds like a great idea, especially for a sore person who gets sorer on a regular basis.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Great suggestion @pcake ! Love me some lemon ginger tea when I am congested. We use raw ginger sliced up and fresh lemons sliced up, then the zest too.
    I boil it on the stove top, place a towel over my head, then stick my face over the boiling water and take deep, deep breaths to let the steam clear me up.
    Warning: don't put your face too close to the boiling water.

-Mike

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Will_White and pcake like this.
  10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm a big fan of plain ginger tea. I don't know if it's the heat, the ginger, or the extra fluids, but it's always good.

Mktrat and pcake like this.
  11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    thanks for the tip. i'll try that next time i'm stuffy. but not too close to the boiling water!

12. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderators Local A440 Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    I'll give this a try. I take Zyflamend Whole Body for inflammation, and I bet this would help it along.

13. I won't be guilty of bobbing for lemon slices again.

pcake likes this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Breathing in steam from boiling water, IMO, can be dangerous. Too much heat can damage nasal ad lungs.

IME, turn off the heat before boiling and move the pan to another burner(cold), the steam will rise as it cools.

Still, be careful.

pcake and MJ5150 like this.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Well. This I didn't know.
    It hasn't hurt me yet, that I know of, but I'll certainly adjust my process to be safe.
    Thanks for chiming in @Stumbo.

-Mike

Stumbo likes this.
  16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Now you tell me! :D

Do you use the tea in the morning to help you through the day, or at night to help you sleep longer before the pain wakes you up?

MJ5150 likes this.
  17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i drink mine first thing in the morning - it seems to last 24 hours. i think it's a cumulative effect, not like a pain reliever. it doesn't have much effect for the first few days, but over time i realized i was having lots less pain plus sleeping better and recovering faster.

MJ5150 likes this.
  18. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    "Please be safe" he says while recovering from 2nd degree burn on my tummy. Edge of towel accidentally got in water and then fell against my t-shirt. Ouch! Two to three weeks recovery.

I visited hospital Wound Care today. Walking wounded. Don't try this at home!