1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lemon Oil 65

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by darthplagis, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Hi People,

Just a quick question, -:help: will lemon oil dammage strings? - cause it says you've gotta take them off, before you clean the neck and I ain't paying £35 for a new pack of strings (Elixir's) every time I clean my fret board.

Thanks in advance.:bassist:

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Any sort of oil will lessen the life of strings and affect the tone.

You can apply the oil with the strings on if you want you will then have to clean them in alcohol so basically save yourself the trouble and take them off first.

3. thanks ebe9 i'm gonna try putting it on one side of the cloth and putting it under the strings so they dont get it on.

4. Take the strings off then put them back on..... no need for new strings unless you need them. They won't take any harm.

As for the lemon oil... use less and take your time.... If it's still 'wet' looking after a few seconds you're using too much.. let it absorb and restring and retune.

Should be fine.

5. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    How long roughly would you suggest leaving the oil to absorb after applying the lemon oil?

6. Gothax

Gothax

Apr 22, 2006
    Heerlen, Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Jim Dunlop strings
    actually, I just spray the oil on a (polish)cloth, apply it to the fretboard, polish it with another dry cloth and leave it to absorb for about 2 days (you really can't play after you've polished your fretboard, it messes up your strings)

btw, I'm new! Hi! :hyper:

7. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Is it ok to leave it for two days with the strings off (truss rod etc)?

I have to say my Ibanez bass (which wasn't that good at all), had a much 'darker' looking fretboard compared to my beautiful Spector (even though they're both rosewood I think I'm right in saying), was this because it had plenty of lemon oil applied?

8. Gothax

Gothax

Apr 22, 2006
    Heerlen, Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Jim Dunlop strings
    you can put the strings back on, just don't play that bass for 2 days because the oil will mess up your strings everytime it hits the fretboard/frets.

the fretboard is becoming a bit darker idd, but I don't know if it depends on the amount of oil you use. my other bass has a maple fretboard so..too baad :(

9. Why would you want/need to put on new strings just because you had taken the existing ones off so that you could clean your fretboard? :confused: :confused:

10. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    lemon oil is a cleaner. for conditioning your board you want to use linseed, gunstock, or tung oil.

11. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    +1

Roger Sadowsky used to advise people to stay away from lemmon oil in general. First of all, there's no such thing as lemmon oil! What they sell under that name is just mineral spirits with lemmon scent. It initially leaves wood looking wet and shiney but will eventually dry it out.

If i remember right, Roger recommended using some kind of gentle furniture cleaner (maybe even just warm soapy water) followed by tung oil or lineed oil.