Lemon Oil!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jieshi, May 6, 2005.

1. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    Hello good people at Talkbass! just wonder what i can use to clean my rosewood fretboard. i've tried Dunlop lemon oil. its nice. but it seems to have made my rosewood look pale!Yep colour faded.is there some other way i could use to get back its original colour?retain shine/lustre?and still make it smooth ? thanks in advance! :)
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    If you're using Lemon Oil, make sure that it doesn't contain drying agents. That could be the reason that the rosewood faded. I've used Lemon Oil since the early 80's and none of my fretboards have faded.

I know people who also use Mineral Oil, Gunstock Oil, boiled Linseed Oil, and Orange Oil. It's just a matter of preference.
  3. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Lemon oil should make the board darker. I know someone that frequently oils his fretboard and it's so dark it almost looks like ebony. Like the above post the oil you used probably has drying agents (only use natural oil non of that furniture stuff with the chemicals)
  4. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    hmm . The lemon oil i've used is from Dunlop.it doesn't says whether it has drying agent in it.what a bummer. :(
  5. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    You need to get pure lemon oil. Some lemon oils contain wax, which might be causing the problem you're experiencing. I got mine at Whole Foods Market, and use it on my Alembics and other basses with ebony fingerboards with no problems.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Some rosewood boards are dyed to make them look like more expensive wood. It may be the dye coming off that is making the board lighter.
  7. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Furniture stuff..... so Formby's lemon oil is no good?
  8. Pure lemon oil is a good chioce. I have also used walnut oil and it has worked very well. There is a product from Burt's Bees called "Vitamin E Body and Bath Oil" which is a mixture of oils with, of course, vitamin E. It is a little thick, but works into the wood nicely. I tend to leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and then buff it off with a soft cloth. It tends to darken the wood a bit, but the look is much richer, deeper in color. I have used this a number of times on fingerboards that have shrunken, exposing fret ends, and it has really helped them swell back to original width. Nice stuff.