Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lemon Song by Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Funk Warts, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    How good is the bass line to Lemon song!?!?! I think this track proves without a doubt that John Paul Jones was the real genius behind the group - sorry but Page just doesn't do it for me. Ever heard the phrase 'all flash no smash'....?

However, Zep do seem to have an annoying tendency to just play 12 bar blues tracks that are (to their credit, effectively) disguised as straightforward rock songs - Moby Dick anyone? Or Lemon Song?

Anyway, back to my point. The basis of Zeppelin seems to have been the instruments, with Planty's vocals taking second place in terms of importance. Maybe that was because of Page, Jones and Bonham's history together as session musicians. Don't know why they gave that up...they were involved with just about every early 60s recording!

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Wunk Farts,
    Where ya been? 75 percent or more of the early hard rock was 12 bar blues, and not just LED ZEP. I have always been kinda partial to Ramble On. Love the bass in that song. It is a classic early rock bass line in my book.
    Bizz

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That 12-bar blues thing...did you ever read about where rock guitar in England in the '60's originated? Who their biggest influences were? Guitarists like Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and so on all cited Chicago Blues as their biggest influence! They all started out trying to emulate the Chicago Blues artists they listened to.

A very small, partial list of these artists include Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy (being one of the biggest), Sonny Boy Williamson, and so forth.

Yeah, Led Zeppelin was heavily rooted in the 12-bar blues. But, everything has its roots.

4. yeah, their songs kinda remind me of "day tripper" in that way. a neat little rock riff for 4 bars, then the same riff transposed up a 4th for 4 more bars... etc, so it's really rock/blues.

but yes, i still remember the first time i listened to the lemon song. absolutely stunning.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    The first time I ever heard the song, man I was young. All I could do at the time was just laugh at how this guy is talking about some chick squeezin' his lemon 'til he falls outta bed!

It wasn't until my late teens after I had picked up the bass that I began to appreciate the song as a bass player's delight! The part's about the lemon are still funny though. :p

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Rain Song must undoubtly be the most cleverly disguised 12 bar blues track ever recorded.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The solo section with just bass and drums is truthfully my favorite bass line of all time. I play it to warm up all the time. I think the other guys in my band are really tired of hearing it...:D

8. Yeah, its a very nice bassline. I cant agree with what you said about Page though...
    Jim

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have played that song every weekend for the last 10 years or maybe more and I still have a ball playing it,

Led Zep is timeless music that will be around a lot longer than any of us!;)

As for Page being all flash and no smash is so untrue!
    Zep would have never been Zep without Jones,Page,Plant and Bonham's contributions to the band.
    . Each one of those guy's were an inportant part in the way Zep sounded and the way they wrote music. Just My opinion!! I have followed everything they have done.
    I will say though, that from Phisical Graffiti until Bonhams death (Coda) Jones was the main producer and aranger of the remaining three albums.
    Phisical, In Through the out door, Coda.

Pick up the book Hammer of the Gods for some pretty good Zep reading!!!

10. oh man, it took me so long to master this tune...and then to improvise it all live...it's great!

And page, well, he was amazing...just truly amazing...his live work was mind boggling (see TSRTS)...

I mean, this band was a genre on its own for god's sake!!!!!

but jonesy is definitely the most underrated of them all...has anyone checked out thunderthief yet???

11. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    I thought that Page comment would be controversial! Still, each to their own and all that. However, in my defence I would like to say that (in my opinion of course) Page just played fast and never really thought about what he was playing. I find guitarists like John Frusciante, Santana etc much more interesting - I await your barrage of insults!!!!

Incidentally I heard John Paul Jones' latest band, whose name I have completely forgotten, on Radio 2 today (The Jonathan Ross show, to be exact) and it was really good. The sound of his bass - amazing!

12. actually, the name of his band is simply John Paul Jones...the new album is Thunderthief...