Lemur-music basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jazzbo, May 8, 2001.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Lemur has several basses for sale in my price range (i.e., $2000 and under). It looks like most are plywood, which is also something I'm looking for. Besides that though, some of the basses don't have much of a description. Since I'm in the market for a double bass, I am keeping Lemur open as an option. I would probably buy a custom electric bass mail order again, but with a double bass I have many more reservations about buying something I've never touched. Can anyone give some additional information regarding the basses advertised? Or, advice concerning Lemur or just buying basses mail order, in general?

On the link I've attached, there is a "3/4 Czech Laminated Bass" for $1425.00 and a "Euro Best Laminated Bass" for $1650.00. I am familiar with the Englehardt Swingmaster (in so far as hearing the name several times, but I have never played one).

Thank you.

I just noticed the link doesn't take you exactly where I am speaking of, you must select the Double Bass Instruments, then Student and Mid-Priced Basses options from the left-hand frame.
  2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    With all due respect to Lemur music, and I am a customer, to me mail-order bass is equivalent to mail-order bride. It might be emminently easier than dating, but the resulting initial pleasure might be short-lived.

Take your time, date a few basses.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Lemur also has a showroom, which is in San Juan Capistrano, CA. I know California's a big state, but if you could manage to get to the showroom and spend a day there playing, you'd get a much better idea of what their basses are like.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    San Juan Capistrano is a coastal town between LA and San Diego, probably about a 7 hour drive from my place. Not too bad, but Lemur hasn't shown any prices leagues better than the stores in my area. I will probably continue to explore the stores in SF (great store called "A String Bass") before making the drive, if necessary.

But, if needs be, can you say "Road Trip!?" I don't need much an excuse to drive to any coastal town.
  5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Jazzbo, you reminded me: I have a business trip to SF coming up in June...besides "A String Bass", where else would I want to visit (music stores with nice acoustic instruments and accessories)? I'd really like the opportunity to play a nice upright so that I can compare to what I hear from my bass. To give me a point of reference for the future...
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    One tip on "A String Bass," is that while it is a business, it's independently owned. You have to call ahead of time to make an appointment to come down. It's all owned and operated by one guy. Helluva nice guy too. I suggest to get him on the phone sometime. He seems to be quite the experienced luthier. I believe his name is Allen Droyand, at 415.285.8541

Ifshin Violins (1633 University Ave. Berkeley 510.843.5466) usually has some decent basses on stock. It's mostly violin, viola, cello there though. Several are out of my range. But, they will let you play them in their trial rooms for hours, with every bow imaginable, if you like.

Also in Berkeley is Patrick McCarthey at 510.524.6636, but we've been playing phone tag for awhile, so I'm not sure where his shop is.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  8. robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    I visited Lemur about a week ago for a set of Correlli strings. They don't keep a staff of sales people, so you need to call them in advance to let them know you're coming. There were about 6 basses in the entry way, and more upstairs. They are a great shop. The owner, Jerry, looked over my bass and gave me some good suggestions, and info while I was there.

If you head down to San Juan Capo for the visit it might be worth a stop at World of Strings on 7th St. in Long Beach. They usually have a good supply of basses. I usually see 20-30 basses in the shop at a time (many are repairs however).