lemur music?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DEFELDUS, Aug 30, 2003.

1. hey guys, im a long time lurker of this side of the forum and i am going to be getting my first double bass for my birthday. ive done a lot of looking around and this is what i've decided on:

http://www.lemurmusic.com/aspbass/a...instName=Sunrise Solana<BR>3/4 Laminated Bass

now my question (and yes i did a search...) is do you guys have any experience with lemur music? are they reputable and trustworthy? also if you know anything about that particular bass please share the info! thanks a lot guys :)
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

While Lemur is a great company with a good reputaion (both my teacher and I buy our strings, books, and accessories there), the "Sunrise" line of basses has a less than stellar reputation among our resident luthiers, who are usually better judges of craftsmanship than the rest of us regular joes.

For a few hundred dollars more, you could purchase a new Samuel Shen or Christopher laminated bass - and both of these have a solid reputation from nearly everyone on this board. Remember to include the cost of a decent setup and the cost of lessons in your initial estimate so you don't get any nasty surprises. If you're up for some reading, there are three or four good threads on the subject of what to look for when buying your first bass in the "Newbie Links" thread in this very forum. Good luck.
  3. :p good one!

anyways, thanks for the info. my mom told me the limit was 1500 so i dunno. i was originally going to get a conklin gt-7 electric, but i decided to get a decent 5 string for now and use my b-day present for a double bass. i really doubt ill be able to get anything over 1500 :(
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    There are other options at slightly lower prices. Once below the $1700 to $2000 range (Shen, etc.), the quality goes down a bit... To make a BG analogy,you're basically talking the DB equivalent of a Squier slab. Once under the $1000 range the quality goes down what can technically be described as a ****load, and with these "craptastic" (usually Chinese) basses, you're talking about the DB equivalent of a Rogue plank - but in this case, you're talking about a Rogue that could implode at any given moment.

BTW, you can see some comments about Lemur's Sunrise basses Here.

With any luck, some folks with first hand experience with some of the $1200-1700 basses will chime in and give some recommendations. I have seen a few Englehardt ES-1 basses at the Aebersold camps, and they're not bad for the price (under $1500). I'd personally much rather have a Shen, but I'm guessing the ES-1 would be a lot more durable than a Sunrise. You can check out the ES-1 Here, among other places.
  5. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I've had my ES-1 for a little over a month now, and I'm thrilled with it. I played at a Bluegrass Festival last weekend, and received many comments on its tone and its looks. One person with a '51 Kay stated that my new Engelhardt sounded just as good. I bought from Bob Gollihur, a very trusted source, and when there was a problem he bent over backwards to make it right.

Isn't there a Strunal model in DAFFODUL'S price range, too?
  6. You might take a look at the Upton Basses in CT.
    Gary Upton was selling a laminated bass made in Poland, that I played and thought was pretty good. It was going for $1400 including set-up.
  7. I'd also say take a look at Strunal, I have a hybrd from them and I love it. 3 years and still holding up strong. The hybrd I got was about $1500.00 before set up, but I palyed mine for a while before I got a good set up.
    Good Luck,
  8. im sorry to hear all this. so do you guys think it might be a better idea to wait until i can afford a Shen or something?
  9. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I think the point is to get the best instrument you can for the money you have to spend. As MISS TITZBARREL pointed out, there are basses available in your price range that are of higher quality than the "craptastic" variety. There are plenty of old Kays and Strunals still around, testifying to their durability and popularity. Only you can decide how long to wait, how much to spend, and whether your commitment warrants spending the extra bucks for a better instrument. Someday, I'd love to have a Christopher or an American Standard, but right now my budget (er, I mean my wife's budget) says Engelhardt.;)
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Not necessarily. Did you read the whole thread? The Englehardt I linked was about $1300, and there is always the option of shopping for used plywoods in your pricerange. The previous post by WHACKENOV is right on the money.

Edit: For example, how about This?
  11. yes i read the whole post, but as good setup seems kinda expensive so i'd like to find one with that included in the price. also, my parents arent going to buy anything used so thats out of the question :(
  12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001

You might want to encourage your folks to reconsider that used instrument policy. I had a really great Epiphone plywood bass that played like butter, looked great, and sounded very nice. I paid $600 for it (found it right here on this little island), and I made money on it when I sold it. Wish I hadn't! In another recent example, I just hooked up a friend with a mint condition blonde Engelhardt, I think she paid $400 for it. Not the norm, but it can happen.

Besides, let's face it, some of the most desirable basses out there are "used", to the tune of 50-200 years or so.
  13. Hey DeafRufus,
    Your Profile don`t say where you live. There may be Luthier`s/Players/Teachers in your area that can help you in your search. Dont be discouraged by not being able to purchase something you may think is better. DB and EB or like night and day in many aspects. What brand EB you have is a "in some circles", badge of honer. In the DB world its all about "That Sound". What Brand/Maker/Ply/Carved is not always what one looks for when trying out Double Basses. Now if you plan to audition for the NYSO you might not want to go with the Englehardt but like alot of us, we find a Bass that sounds good to us personaly and work with it saving for that next prize,"I think I read where Don has had like 7 Double Basses...gezz". Good Luck and you`ll find one that suits you well. Personaly, I wish I would have bought a Englehardt when I started out. I did....the....the...Ebay thing :eek: Also, I understand your Parents wanting to buy new dropping that kind of cash. If they would consider buying used you could easily come out ahead.

14. Excellent point here. Most non-musicians seem to think instruments are like automobiles--drive it off the lot and it loses 20% of its value. Find a few TB posts discussing the positives of older instruments and let your parents read for themselves. It shouldn't take much investigation to discover that older is often better.
  15. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Engleharts are nice, but the good Chinese laminated basses like the Shens are really a step up. Get a paper route and save up that extra $400. Or sell an EB.

And like the others say, unlike an EB, a double bass doesn't lose 50% of its value from retail when it's time to sell it.
  16. Defeldus

Check out Bob (all Hail) Gollihur's site. He will sell you an Engelhardt EM1 for about 1200 bucks delivered. Take the $300 left spend a $100 for a decent set of strings. Find a local luthier and use the last $200 for a bridge set up, soundpost adjustment and fretboard work. This will get you a very playable bass, with decent tone. The right strings will work for both Arco and Pizz style playing. If you can squeeze anothe $75 bucks into the equation an adjustable bridge can be added.
    Check his Luthiers listings and see if he lists a local Bass Luthier near you for doing the set up work. If not, the community here may know some one, once we know what city you live near.

Bob Gollihur is a nice guy to deal with and has a good reputation around here.

I basically did the upgrades suggested above to a used EM1 I bought and am very happy. I bought Obligato strings and an adjustable bridge from Bob, took them to a local Luthier, and viola, a very nice bass.

Hope this helps.

17. dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    As per what Keith said. My situation is almost exactly like his. I bought an EM-1, Pirastro Obligato Strings and an adjustable bridge. I am going to take it to a Luthier to get it sorted out. I felt it was a very good value. I think Bob is selling the basses for even less since I bought mine. He also sells a pretty nice carved bass.
    Walt MI/US
  18. Ive got a school model Englehardt bass at my place. I think it's roughly $1600 new... They are good sounding basses, while not top notch, they are quite decent. Hmm... A good setup can make a ****ty bass sound better....
  19. Dondi

May 3, 2003
    I have to say that if you are a relative newcomer to the Double Bass world, you would be hard pressed to find a more helpful and ethical guy that Mr. Golihur.
    My experience with getting hold of my Bulgarian 5-string was nothing short of a nightmare called "Attack of the Zombie Trucking Companies." I was shipped a bass (you gotta see the shipping crates for these things. They are like a coffin for the fat man at the circus. There is an interesting plot line for a "Sopranos" episode in there somewhere)and right above the sticker on the box that said "DO NOT USE FORKLIFT!" There was a fist-sized hole that went halfway through the crate and, of course, the front of the bass. After I uncrated the bass, cried a bit, and called the trucking company, I called Bob. He was all over it in no time. He took care of having the damaged instrument picked up, and handled getting me another one pretty quick, which I know is not easy with custom ordered instruments. This is the short version of my story to make a point.

Even though there was no fault at his end, he took it as a personal issue to help me get hooked up with my instrument ASAP. He kicked some butt across the country to get me satisfied. After many years dealing with business folk, I never had such a quick reaction and solution to a situation. You could have your child do business in complete confidence with such a man.
    I just thought he deserved some public kudos.
  20. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Agreed, all of it. Slightly off topic, how do you like your bass? I've been thinking about those basses for a while, as I may be in the market for a 5-string with a high "C" before too much longer. Have you already posted a review? If so, can you point me in the right direction?