Lend you vast knowledge....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Regurgitator, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    Here is what I have:
    GK 400RB head
    SWR Big Bertha 18" cab
    EV 410 cab

The problem is the head can hardly power the cabs enough for me to hear them above my band. I want a modern sounding head with plenty of headroom. I have tried some things out at the local Mars music but am unsure of what to get with my cab setup. I play fingerstyle and want enough volume and power to be able to use my fingers lightly without having to really play hard to be heard. My band is a Deftones,Soulfly,Jane's Addiction style groove-core thing, so I am looking for that kind of sound. What do you guys think would be the best head for me with these cabs? The current setup sounds muddy and undefined, not much in the way of balls. I usually have to kick in my Boss Overdrive just to be heard. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    Excuse my typo, I meant Big Ben, not Big Bertha. Sorry...
  3. Try out the Mesa Boogie Bass 400+, plenty of juice in it. If you cant get heard with that one... ;)
  4. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    About 2 months ago I took delivery of Carvin's RL1018 stack. It consists of a 1000 watt head (750 watts into 4 ohms bridged), a 410 cab with bullet tweeter, and a 1x18" cab. This thing's a monster. I can quite literally shake a house's foundation with the 18" -- if that were a goal. The 4 x 10" (plus tweeter) cuts through anything the band can throw at me. The head offers remarkable power and more sound shaping controls than any other amp I'm aware of. In fact, some have criticized it for being too flexible! The head sells for only $650 direct from Carvin. Go to Carvin's site to get complete specs and a number of independent reviews (Bass Player and Bassics). I highly recommend this amp. Frankly, I think this amp is better than any Ampeg and comes close to SWR's "Mo Bass". But that's just one man's opinion. If anyone is interested in a complete review of my Carvin stack, I'd be happy to post one. Just let me know.
  5. Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY

If you like the GK RB400 wouldn't the RB700 be a natural next step?
  6. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    The R600 boasts 300/300 watts at 2 ohms, 600 at 4ohms (bridged), and 500 at 8 ohms (bridged). It sells for $570. My advice would be to spend the extra $80 and go for the R1000. Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats headroom when trying to control an 18" and keep it from becoming floppy!!
  7. Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    I hate the GK, it sounds like complete crap to me. Perhaps it would fit other styles better but not heavy stuff. I need that growly in your face sound. I will stay away from GK stuff. I think I might trade my EV410 for an Eden 410 or SWR 410.
  8. Instead of buying a new rig, why not buy a plexiglass shield and toss it in front of your drummer, that way everyone can turn down a bit. Did wonders for me. If your drummer won't go for that you are gonna have to buy an SVT tube or a really powerful solid state like a Ampeg SVT-4 or an SWR SM-900.
  9. Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    We have two drummers, and the thing is we don't mic them so I would think the plexiglass shield may quiet them too much. regardless I need a new head at least- the guitar player plays a Peavey Supreme 160 half stack- very loud! We really don't play at that loud of a volume, it is just that my GK head is only 275 watts or something. Plus, the SWR 18" is an 8ohm cab. I think I will have to choose between a SWR SM-500, SWR SM-900 or a Mesa 400+. Any thoughts on these amps? Would the 500 be enough power for my cabs to be heard?

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY

I use a SM-900 with a Goliath III and a Big Ben. Sounds killer. I also don't much like the "glossy modern metallic" sound of GK's, but thats a taste thing. Although I love the sound (tone)of the Big Ben, actually more than the Goliath, there is not doubt that the 4X10 moves more air. If you're going for sheer volume, try using another 4X10 cab instead of the 18. Or go through the PA.
  11. Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    What could I expect to pay for a used SM-500 or SM-900?
  12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State

You may want to consider buying just a power amp. You'll get more watts/dollar, and your rig will become a lot more flexible. For now you could use the preamp of your GK head, or sell your GK and get a preamp that you like, or whatever...

Just a thought...
  13. The mesa 400+ will give you all power you will need. On the downside it is a bit expensive, but it is a good piece of work.
  14. Sounds like you either need more power or one fewer drummer!
  15. Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    Even with one drummer playing I can hardly hear my curent setup. I think I will go with the Mesa or the SM-500- which ever I can find for a decent price. I will sell this EV410 and go for a SWR 410.
  16. Glass your drummer, man. Even if you get an SM-900 your still gonna have to crank it and be in the fart zone. Glass that non-dynamically capable bastard!
  17. Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    Well, like I said, I have TWO drummers, actually one functions as a percussionist and the other is the main drummer. The percussionist plays quietly for a drummer(she was drum corp and jazz trained). It is not as loud as you guys might imagine, however it is too loud for my head. We have no problem hearing the guitar, in fact the guitar only runs at about 5-6 for practice. I want to be able to not have to fart out the cabs, I play fingerstyle and it is hard to get a good tone that way when you have to really play hard to be heard. I will look into the plexi-glass thing, but I think the drummers would prefer to spend that money elsewhere. Hell, Morbid Angel(the big death metal band on tour with Pantera) practices right next to us in another unit and they are WAY louder than us. They have a full drum PA and full stacks etc. I really think it is just my head that is causing the bad sound, this head is not for heavy stuff like ours. Any of you guys wanna buy this GK400RB?
  18. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    I haven't read all the replies but i noticed that you mentioned that you want a "growly in your face sound". As far as i'm concerned there in nothing that makes that sound any better than SWR. I used to play eden stuff which i have to say is absolutely great gear but it's too.....smooth i guess you'd say. I definitely reccomend you try out and SM 500 of bass 750....they should make plenty of power for you.
  19. LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH

You may look into getting a seperate pre & power amp. Get some pre with tubes and get a Crown K series or one of those QSC PLX amps. With 1000+ watts into 4 ohms(bridged), 4 10s, 1 18, you would be very (very) loud. And you would move some serious air.

And you might need a good compressor to help protect your speakers. You have to be careful when your using that much power.
  20. Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    I have pretty much decided on either a Mesa 400+ or SM-500, which do you guys think would be better? Keep in mind that my band is a heavy Deftones,Tool style band.