Lending gear out of town???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    OK - this has probably been discussed...but here's my (short) story...

We were heading up for a show out of town - about 5 hours away. Of course, we had all our gear with us in a trailer we rented, as we're professionals and we have professional gear...

The band who we're playing with (in their hometown) calls us on the way to the show and asks if bass dude can use my rig. They said they "forgot" to pick his cabinet up or it wouldn't fit in the car or something...so he asks to use my cab on the phone.

I reluctantly said OK, but felt like crap the rest of the van ride after saying that. I saw myself as being a panzee and a pushover. I wanted to call the dude back and say, "You know what? Bring your own gear to your own hometown show, jerkface!"

But I let him use my whole rig (he wanted to run his own head, but since I knew my whole rig would be better than him running a foreign head into my cabinets), and nothing went wrong (this time) but seriously, this is twice in two months we've played out of town shows and the other band(s) have asked to use my rig in their own hometowns.

How unprofessional is that...

What do you guys do in these situations?

Just say no, and then have an akward moment when you meet the guys who think you're supposed to lend them your hard-earned gear for the night?

Or just say Yes because you wanna be a nice guy, and you have faith in your reliable bass rig?

How come I'm such a nice guy all the time!?!? (oh yeah, and I lent someone else in a band I know my bass the other night and they lost one of my straplocks!? ***!?)

2. This is totally your call - Say no if you want. You have no obligation to provide gear for these other bands, so nobody can fault you if you deny the request. If it bothers you, you might want to bring this up when you book the gigs - tell the promoter (or whomever is booking the gig) that your group is not providing equipment for other bands. Get that on the table before anyone asks and the burden falls on the promoter to make sure they all have equipment.

3. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    make sure they aren't asking out of laziness.

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've found thats usually the case...whether they admit it or not.

If I was there, and someone's bass rig didn't fire up on stage, it'd be a different story, but if someone doesn't feel like lugging it out of their stinky basement for the gig, then I'm getting pissed...which I think was the case the last two times we played out and I had to be the gear-whore.

5. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    My rules are simple. If I'm in the room at the same gig, I have no problem with a bassist that asks nicely to use my rig. I don't much care if he's lazy or if he genuinely has a good reason.
    #1. I love listening to my rig from a different position. I just don't get to do that often, and it helps me figure out what settings work best by having that new perspective.
    #2. 99% of the bass players I've met will respect someone else's gear and not abuse it. If I ever meet that other 1%, they'll quickly find out what a pair of Timberland boots tastes like.

6. Decedo

Decedo

Nov 23, 2008
    I used to bring a crappy side-kick amp with me on the road. Mostly used for practice in the bandroom/house. When asked the 'awkward question', (depending on the Band) I'd offer another rig because my settings were particular (hehe).

7. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I often offer to provide my own gear at shows. It speeds up everybody's changeover and I get to play my own gear, a known quantity rather than being at the mercy of "Luck of the draw". Maybe if there are only two bands the changeover is a non-issue. If the drums are "community" for the night, it probably makes sense for the amps to be, too.

It's easier when you know the other bands.

KO

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Interesting responses - I like the extra practice amp idea.

9. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    I always say no. I say that I dont feel comfortable lending out my rig sorry.

10. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    unless it is someone that I really know

11. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I'm with the "Never Lend it, so don't ask." group. Mainly because I'd have a really difficult time replacing my rig if anything broke. Also, people who borrow things usually don't have the coin to pay if they break them.

12. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    This is what I've been doing for years. I carry a cheap DI box with me for emergencies. If someone needs to borrow a rig, I offer to sell them the DI box. It's enough to get them through a gig. I don't owe it to someone to sound good, but I'll help someone get through a gig. And since they bought it, I don't have to worry about them breaking it or giving it back.

13. "Neither a borrower nor a lender be..."
    Having said that, I have rented out gear when the price was really right.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    +1
    (a security deposit seems reasonable)

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Responses:

1. Well, I brought along a Peavey 115 Combo I bought in the '70's. You can use that.

2. Oh no! I didn't bring an amp ... I thought I'd be able to use yours.

3. No prob. There's a $2,500 deposit, though.

4. OK. Mind if I borrow your girlfriend?

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    EPIC WIN!

I really like the DI box idea - Kinda OT, but does anyone know if the VT Pedal doubles as a DI? I've been thinking about picking one up...

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    BTW, this woulda been ideal - the kid who borrowed my amp had a SMOKIN girlfriend...damnit! why didn't I think of that...

18. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    "I'm sorry but my insurance doesn't cover me for equipment I lend out"

19. +1,000!!! Couldn't have said it better.

20. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Now that I've thought about it, I don't have an answer. I know you said it's happened to you twice in a short while, which is odd enough, but is this such a problem you have to develop set policy of what to say anytime someone asks to use your stuff? You gig regularly from what I gather, but really how many times has this happened, where the folks asking were doing it cause they were 'lazy'? I'd be shocked if it was over 5 times, which seems like a lot.

I have gigged a lot over the years too and I can't count on one hand the times I had to let someone else use my rig when I wasn't planning on it, for whatever reason, valid or not.

Say no if you can, let 'em use it if you can't.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021