Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lending out Your Rig to Fellow Bassists

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mikarre, Aug 9, 2004.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Say, for example, you are playing a show with 5 other bands. As things are getting together, you see the other bassists eyeing up your rig and it is soonafter suggested that your rig be the "stage rig" for the night that everyone uses. Would you go for this? How can you say no without seeming like a total tool?

I would not be too keen on this, simply because of the wear and tear factor, and also because if my amp blew up with someone else playing it that would really bother me. I've been in bands where other bands, friends of ours, have asked to use our stuff and we always said no. It's nice to be friendly and supportive of other bands, but I draw the line at putting my gear in jeopardy. Am I being too anal?

Let me know your opinion. Also, what's the diplomatic way to avoid letting your bass amp get fondled by other players all night without seeming like a jerk?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Me? Hell no!! Sorry, ain't no one else touching my gear! Period! Now if they want to 'rent' it out (for a good price) I may consider it! No compensation? No way!

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope, but I've let others use my rig in situations where there are two bands and I know the guy, or I know he's a pro. A five-band festival? Ain't no way, dude.

4. I do it if I know and like the guys, and for guys who have let me do that in the past.

If I don't have to haul a rig, I won't.

5. so ive done this once, i let them borrow my head(Yorkville BM400..)...and well i havent seen it since...

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Absolutely, positively hell no.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    exactly.

8. If its a gig with 5 other bands, well they would have bought their own rigs and its probably sittin in their car. And everyone will run to the hills when your amp blows up, and you will be left with crap in your hat, wearing the cost. You probably worked hard and saved to buy your amp, too bad for the others.

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I second that motion!!

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    NO!!!
    but.....YMMV!:D

11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Ditto that.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've hosted jam sessions for years and am of course expected to provide the bass rig. What I bring is not a beater but it's not my #1 rig. It IS bulletproof stuff, though :cool:

I've also done gigs opening for national acts where part of the deal (to save the promoter some $$) is we would provide the backline. I don't really have a problem with that, either.

It's also cool to work out gear sharing on multiband bills IN ADVANCE, especially if you now all the other acts.

I definitely have problems with players who just ASSUME that if someone else on the bill has a better rig that they should have access to it. I once had a newbie at a jam ask to play my bass because "it's better than mine"...what are guys like this thinking? Time to learn about some professional courtesy :rolleyes:

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We were playing at a festival with mulitple and varied types of music. We were fairly early and were not hanging around after we finished. Before we went on a guy from a gospel group asked about borrowing our bass amp. We told him we were splitting right after. He got pissed! Later, we over heard him going around asking all the bassist if their group could borrow a 5 string. No one had a 5 string (or at least offered one.) He got pissed about that! Their bassist only had a 4 string, was everyone else supposed to bring this guy a bass? Look Bub, bring your own Sh*t!

I have a friend that runs a sound company. 99% of the time, if someone is using his backline stuff they run the crap out of it (what the hell, it's a rental!) He charges dearly for backline rental and rightly so.

14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I'm pretty much with everyone else when I say hell no!
    I use the excuse that after my set I have to be somewhere.
    On the other hand when we do play the rare multi band show if there is a rig there I try to avoid it. I would much rather bring my stuff on stage for one set rather than use someone elses rig. It's not that the other guys rig or the rental rig isn't as good, it's just that I know what my rig sounds like and it's what I'm used to. Of course when the sets done I take my stuff back out to the truck. Call me a d**k if you want but I will still have a working rig next weekend. :D

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've been in that situation many times, and I seem to give in too many times. The last time I gave in I've vowed will be my last time. I'm one of the hell no crowd now.

One time someone used my amp we were playing one of the largest shows I ever played - 4 songs in front of about 400 people - and the amp crapped out for the whole first song.

the last time i lent it to someone i told the guy, "i don't put the volume past here (halfway on both knobs)", and when i looked they were both cranked 3/4 of the way up. i wanted to smash the guy's face, but i don't do that stuff. the guy was real apologetic about it and gave me his number with a promise that if there were any problems he'd take care of it.

the crap that last incident put me through was enough to say I'm never doing it again. My amp is 25 yrs old. It doesn't need anyone else's milage on it.

last note - I've come to really resent the people who show up at gigs without amps. NY seems full of them. I refuse to feel sorry or "understanding" for them anymore. I don't know why they do that? I don't know why I ever feel sorry for them. If they show up without gear then it's time for them to learn a lesson.

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I definitely have problems with players who just ASSUME that if someone else on the bill has a better rig that they should have access to it. I once had a newbie at a jam ask to play my bass because "it's better than mine"...what are guys like this thinking? Time to learn about some professional courtesy

Welcome to my open mike world. I nearly got beat up by a tweaker woman who wanted me to let her boyfriend play my custom bass. I finally gave in, and got a few neck finish scratches for my trouble. Not to mention the headache. DeWd was a tap/slap/wank meister of the highest order (not that there's anything wrong with that :eyebrow: ). Did I mention this was a fretless?

I once had five speakers blown when genius-boy decides that diming every control on a parametric EQ would make a nice New Year's Eve sendoff. It cost the band a few hundred bucks, which took forever to collect.

I do provide backline from time to time. Normally, if something cooks, it's on me, same as with the PA I provide. I choose my situations fairly carefully, and am lucky enough to work with real professionals usually. Limiters are a fine thing too, allsimsayin'.

A situation with five bands is trouble waiting to happen. I've shared gear many times with one or two kindred bands, and would again any time. In an emergency, or doubtful, situations, I demand a guaranteed, no questions replacement of any broken gear, should it be necessary. I've never had anyone refuse to agree to that, when it's a freebie. Since I'm a repair guy, people tend to lend me stuff with few qualms. Might have a bit to do with the fact that I'm a geezer too though.

I've come to really resent the people who show up at gigs without amps. NY seems full of them. I refuse to feel sorry or "understanding" for them anymore. I don't know why they do that? I don't know why I ever feel sorry for them. If they show up without gear then it's time for them to learn a lesson.

You mean they actually show up with basses? KeWl!

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Joe has nailed it right here. I wouldn't for a minute assume that someone else going to let me use their rig. Nor shall I provide for strangers that should know better. In multiple band shows, I'll always ask what the gear issue is...beforehand.

You don't know these people, and it's your rig($$$$). You've bothered to show up ready to play. It is not your problem that others haven't.

Don't do it!

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    We recently did a show where the club manager/*sswipe told us that since we were the last band we had to supply drums since it takes a long time to set up and mic them. We all agreed that if the drummer wasn't cool with it, we wouldn't do the show. He pretty much said nobody could possibly play harder than him so he didn't see the harm. :D

I played a gig two weeks ago with another band. We went on first. The bass player said that if I wanted to use his amp it was cool. He and his mates had carried it up the very many steps so I thought I would just leave mine in my truck. I did have my amp though so don't think I'm one of those no amp at the gig guys.
    Boy was I sorry. I couldn't get a decent tone out of his rig to save my life. :(

19. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Another vote for NO.

I would let a buddy use my rig though. In fact, I got a call last Friday night from my former teacher now buddy who was in the middle of a set and his amp died. I innocently asked him when he went back on after his break? He said "I'm on stage right now!!" I loaded up the rig and was ready to go when he called "Abort". It was a stuck slider on his EQ or something.

I had a good laugh about it because I KNOW that I am the only person he knows with any kind of rig who wouldn't be playing a gig on Friday night. (I'm currently between bands).

20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I will lend a DI box, but not my rig for reasons that have already been stated by others. I'd rather have them blow the house PA, than my rig.

I played a benefit gig where one of the performers asked me if he could use my amp. My reply was that I was leaving after our performance, and that he needed to get himself a direct box. I told him a nearby store where he could pick one up, and left it at that.

I also hate it when people assume they can use my rig. If there is notice beforehand then something can be worked out, but if not then it's not my problem.

As a soundman once said to me, you bring your sound with you. If you don't, you shouldn't expect much.