Length of 35 inch scale strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AnthonyBrown, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Hi folks,
    I am getting a new Lakland joe Osborn 5. It is strung with the strings over the bridge. When I change the strings, I would like to use the through the body method. Since this guitar is already a 35 inch scale, do I have to be careful of what manufacturer's strings I use? I know that some are longer than others and may not be long enough to go thru the body. Thanks for your time.
    Anthony Brown
    Lithonia GA
  2. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    If your going through the bridge on a 35" scale bass, your probably getting into "super long" or "extra long" territory. My best guess is that standard Long scale strings will probably come up short. Maybe another Joe5 user can give you a definite answer.

3. bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    GHS super longs will fit, elixer super longs, carl thompson super longs, and pyramid supers will all fit. It makes it tough, no companys ever seem to post the actual functional length of their strings, all you get is vague titles like extra, and super, which all vary from company to company. drives me nuts. ;)
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Lakland sells their own strings direct that will fit their basses..
  5. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    Rotosound has the string lenghs on there website. They tell you the distance between the ball and where the silk starts.