Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Length of Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Lately I've been writing for and playing in an all original "jazz centric" quartet that (believe it or not) is actually quite popular and working quite a bit locally. Since the group is fairly democratic and open to new ideas, we experiment with a lot of different sounds...and there's one sound in particular that I would like to have better access to, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. Namely, I'd like to be able to play pizz a couple of inches closer to the bridge for a brighter, more percussive sound in some situations, but the lack of a supporting fingerboard under those areas makes this difficult if not impossible.

I'm assuming that the standard fingerboard length is the way it is to accomodate bowing facility. Since this is not a concern for me at this point, I was wondering if anyone - especially any of the luthier types on the board - could comment on the feasibility of some sort of extension of the fingerboard for right hand use rather than left (i.e. - I'm note trying to get any higher L.H. notes out of this).

Probably a stupid question, but there are times when I'd really like to be able to use that sound...

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Just drive right up and I'll give you the special TB discount!

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks. If I start driving tonight, I should get there in a couple of weeks. :D

Have you heard of this being done before, or am I just making this @#$% up? It seems like it would work, but....

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I haven't seen an extended fingerboard for the purposes of right-hand pizz anchoring, but there are plenty of instruments with upper register extensions on the treble side.

[​IMG]

Edgar Meyer has something similar.

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Any good luthier should be able to do what you want.
    Nice pic, Christopher!