Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lennon or McCartney?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by moley, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Lennon

32 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. McCartney

39 vote(s)
    54.9%
  1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok folks, who do you prefer the songs/singing/playing/whatever of? You could go with Beatles or post-Beatles, up to you. Though IMHO it's possibly not worth bothering with the post-Beatles stuff.

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    If I had to choose, I'd have to go with Lennon.
    His writings can really make you think sometimes!

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    However it doesn't look like you have voted for Lennon, as he as no votes...

4. he does now!

i favoured paul from '70-2000, but have recently swung the other way...

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    There was a cool article a while back that categorized songwriters into one of four categories on a continuum of meaning vs catchiness.

People who were heavy with meaning were Georges.
    Lots of meaning , but more melodic were Johns.
    Less meaning still but lots of melody are Pauls.
    Catchy but meaningless ones are Ringos.

On that continuum, I try to be a John.

6. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Lenon...def...definately lennon, His writings were sincere, thoughtful, and they seemed to make a difference...with the exception of "Oh Yoko":D

7. My favorite used to be Lennon, by far, but I think that now it's McCartney, mostly due to his later Beatles stuff' i.e. "Hey Jude", "Let It Be", etc.

8. A very hard decision, but I think I'll go with Lennon. Don't get me wrong, however - McCartney was a great songwriter/musician during the Beatle-years and is still going strong.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Lennon - I relate to skepticism, cynicism, and satire, too.

To me, Paul was/is "AM radio" and Lennon was "FM."

"Silly Love Songs" nauseated me quicker than "Mother."

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Harrison.

But he's not on the list, so Lennon. Paul just seems to me like a puppet or something. I never got the feeling he was thinking for himself. Of course, this is based on books and video nearly 30 years after the Beatles. Lennon was killed almost a year before I was born, so I obviously(sp?) wasn't there.

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Silly Love Songs nauseated me too! I don't really look at their post-Beatles songwriting, it's really nowhere near the standard of their Beatles stuff IMHO. I voted for McCartney, I prefer his songs (Ones like Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday, She's Leaving Home, Here There and Everywhere, Got To Get You Into My Life, Blackbird, The Fool On The Hill, The Long And Winding Road, You Never Give Me Your Money...), but of course Lennon is great too, in a different way.

12. Exactly! Those were some of the songs I was trying to think of. Don't forget "For No One". Also, "Maybe I'm Amazed", from early post-Beatles, is very good.

The only way I can stomach "Silly Love Songs" is to listen to only the bass line -- which is pretty good.

There you have it.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Pre-Rubber Soul: Lennon

Rubber Soul: Lennon and McCartney

Post Rubber Soul: McCartney.

Bard2Bone: Interesting concept, but it really leaves no room for Dylan. IMO, by those parameters, Dylan is like a "Super Lennon"...

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That was one of the problems I had with the scale in the article.

A songwriter who is trying REALLY hard to say things, but may or may not be very listenable (Dylan et al.) would be a George.

I would have swapped George and Johns places based on the 'poppyness'(Is that a real word?) of things like 'I Got My Mind Set On You' and the depth of meaning of things like 'Imagine'.

But looking at it that way Dylan would indeed be a super-John.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Songwriter? Lennon
    Musician? McCartney
    Vocalist? Both

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, you're right I forgot For No-One, that's a great one. Indeed, Maybe I'm Amazed is good, but don't ya think it just sounds different to his Beatles stuff? That song was from the McCartney album, released in 1970, the year the Beatles broke up - but his songwriting, and even his singing sounds different to me - only a few months later. Even though many of his Beatles tracks were essentially solo efforts, his *actual* solo efforts sound a lot different. Maybe I'm Amazed is good, IMHO, but it doesn't sound like the same McCartney. Just a thought.

17. sws bassist

sws bassist

Oct 22, 2002
    "all Paul Mccartney songs are about boring people doing boring thing"
    -John Lennon

18. McCartney - Eleanor Rigby. The lyrics are so unusual and morose; very different from Paul's mushy-gushy standard fare love songs. To me this proves his versatility.

I liked a lot of Lennon's songs, but, I thought very differently of him after he let himself be led around by the nose by that manipulator who's last name should be a hint: OH NO!

Forgive me for venting, but, she's one person I can not stand. :mad:

Mike J.

Just my $.02

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Poll: Food or Water?

Which do you prefer, and why?

20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000