Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lennon's bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by D.J, Dec 24, 2001.

1. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    Anybody can tell me something about bassist/s of John Lennon?
    Thanks and Happy Holidays!

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    if i´m not mistaken... he´s at the Talkbass front page right now :)

hint: (Tony Levin)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...whadda about Klaus Voorman?
    He seemed to crop up with guys like Ringo & Harrison(I'm assuming he played with Lennon, too).
    In any event, it is Voorman's artwork that graces the 3 Anthology covers.

4. Yeah, I know Klaus Voorman played on John Lennon's Imagine album. I'm not sure about the rest as that's the only Lennon album I have.

I'm pretty sure he was also responsible for The Beatles Revolver album cover.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Klaus Voorman was the original bassist for the Plastic Ono Band, and the artist who did the Revolver cover. I don't think he had a regular band, outside of the collaboration with Elephant's Memory (remember the song "Mongoose"?), who backed him up on the New York release. I couldn't give you a name, though.

6. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I think Lennon's best bass player was this guy named Paul. Klaus Voorman was an old buddy of the Beatles' from Hamburg who later played with Manfred Mann's Earth Band as well as desiging some fine artwork for various albums. He played on (the excellent) Plastic Ono Band as well as Imagine and Live Peace in Toronto. Klaus was a bass player by association, really, but he came up with some very cool percolating bass lines. He has a cool feel and his work with Ringo on Plastic Ono Band is simplistic, but very effective.

I'm drawing a balnk on who played on Lennon's Los Angeles sessions. Whomever was part of Phil Spector's 70s crew, I suppose. Tony Levin did some excellent work with John Lennon right before he died. His spacious lines and excellent tone really added a lot to "Double Fantasy" and the other sessions of the period. He brought a more solid groove to some of thos esongs that greatly enhanced them- particularly of interest would be the sessions later released as "Milk And Honey" which are a bit less chordy and songwriterly and a bit more of a jam.