1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lenny Kravitz on the cover of Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Seeing Lenny Kravitz on the cover of Bass Player has got to be the most “meh” I ever felt about a cover artist. I know Lenny Kravitz can play the heck out a bass if he wants to, but compared to someone like Prince, I have never had the feeling that bass is something he is passionate about. The McCartney stuff he did on Let a Love Rule is the one bass line of his I ever loved.

Dang, I guess I better shut up because I just remembered I love the bass on Fly Away and Are You Gonna Go My Way?:D

okcrum, J_Bass, Thundar and 4 others like this.
  2. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Always On The Run is a cool line. Did he play/write it?

Reedt2000 and saabfender like this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Why not, even if it isn’t his primary instrument, as long as he makes a contribution in his playing style. Jimi Hendrix is one of my favorite bass players, even though he didn’t record all that much, but he always came up with some unique lines that I got something out of. Paul McCartney’s been on the cover of Guitar Player, after all.

4. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    What bass is he holding on the cover?
    Let me guess , a vintage 60’s Fender Jazz?

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, but inside he poses with a cool Stingray too.

6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Couldn’t find it online . I’ll have to find in store. What month issue?
    Have to see and read about his Stingray. I bet Gail Ann turned him on to that bass. Lenny has alwats been about jazz basses from 60’s. With an occasional Pbass thrown in the mix.

lancimouspitt likes this.
  7. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I quite like his bass lines and they’re great fun to play. He might not be a bass player primarily, but I don’t have a problem seeing him on the cover.

mrm56, Artman, Bassman Spiff and 5 others like this.
  8. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    If I'm running a magazine about bass players and selecting a cover subject, I'm certainly picking the alive famous sometimes bass player over the deceased famous sometimes bass player.

el_Bajo_Verde, murphy and reddog like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It’s the latest issue. I got it out of my mailbox on Wednesday 11/21.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Him not mainly being a bassist wasn’t my issue. It was that off the top of my head, I couldn’t think of anything he did that I thought was really cool, however, once I did think about it, I realized he had come up with a number of catchy bass parts.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "It Ain't Over 'til It's Over" is another good one. The guy is a total musician.

I remember the Bass Player issue with the Prince cover.
    A whole lotta people in here went apoplectic.
    Hopefully, they learned something from those that were familiar with Prince's bass playing.

Atshen, Corbusier, Fxpmusic and 5 others like this.
  12. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD

He writes and plays everything on the records, and then the band learns the parts. There's a documentary out on him that's pretty good.

13. When was the last time Percy Jones was on the cover??

I know... Lenny plays songs that are a big hit at the bar and cover bands use them to sell beer..

14. ...people still buy magazines?

*ducks for cover*

Atshen, PillO, lancimouspitt and 7 others like this.
  15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I do. In fact, I just bought a 1974 issue of Guitar Player that has a nice article on Joe Osborn.

16. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    well at least it is not Rob Trujillo again...

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I remember once Eddie VanHalen on the cover if a magazine back in the late 80s or early 90s playing a white Kramer Spector bass. I googled around a while and couldn't find it. That one made me roll my eyes.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It was an issue of Guitar Player...Sammy Hagar had put out a solo album with EVH playing bass.
    https://cdn.iofferphoto.com/img/item/153/498/799/lruD48Nt02EOBy3.jpg
    Musta been when everything was peachy; in the article, Hagar constantly blows smoke up EVH's keister about being not only the best guiartist...but, if he wanted, he could also be the best bassist, too.

19. Sometimes, musically speaking, the best bass lines are those you don't notice because they just fit so well.

Atshen, jamro217, Artman and 5 others like this.
  20. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

2C20194F-2749-4440-BBD4-A9F886E6A35A.
    I have that issue of Guitar Player magazine. It's from October 1987. The photo was pertaining to the fact that Ed played bass on Sammy Hagar's then new album "I never said goodbye". Check out the song "Give to Live". Ed plays some excellent basslines and his tone his great. Why did it make you roll your eyes?

tomersg and Thundar like this.