1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lenzner Gut vs. Animas?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Lia_G, May 14, 2006.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, folks,

I still really like the Animas on my bass, but am just getting more and more curious about gut. I'm considering trying out some Lenzner or similar guts, with probably plain g + d and wrapped a + e. Anyone have any input regarding a comparison of these strings? How is arco on gut vs Animas? (I don't find the Animas to bow that well ... in that respect I definitely miss the Eurosonics).

Also, I see that Bob G. sells Lenzner sets with the a + e wound, or with a plain a and wrapped e. Any input regarding the plain a versus wrapped a??? For both arco and pizz?

For background, if I haven't mentioned it recently, I play for a few singer-songwriters, everything from alt-country to blues to folk to bluegrass to sort of alternative-jazz.-pop. Mostly pizz, but some arco, with ppossibly some slap in the future (but not yet).

Thanks!
    Liam

2. spaghettiwestern

spaghettiwestern Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Greater Boston Area
    I tried these on my bass many years ago. Definitely get the wound A. The unwound sounded like a rubberband (though it was the thickest string i've ever seen). Also, these took forever to strecth out, but I guess that's common with plain gut strings.

I remember hating these strings, but then again it was a different bass and a different time in my playing life. I just wasn't ready for the transition to gut. Maybe I should dig 'em out of the string box and try 'em again.

3. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I usually use a plain gut A string, either by Lenzner or Gotz, which is slightly heavier. It takes a very loose, resonant bass to get the plain gut A to sound like a musical note rather than a dull thud. The right bass gets really excited by this string. Most basses don't, though, so their appeal to owners of heavier basses might be limited to players who slap a lot.

Steve Swan

4. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks forthe replies, guys. And thanks for that info, Steve. Since both my basses are plywood, I'm betting they wouldn't come alive for the plain gut A then. Although who knows? But if I try them, I believe that I'll try the wrapped A.

Thanks,
    Liam

5. I would suggest the Lenzner G & D with Dominants on the bottom. Or, your animas for bottoms.

The Lenzners are good guts, and surprisingly stable.