Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lenzner guts

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by moped10, Apr 12, 2004.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Bob likes them on his Kay (I have an Englehardt), as well as some pizz/slap players on the rockabillybass site, so I ordered a set to replace my Innovations- I shorten my notes with my left hand to swing hard with my current strings, and I have my action set high already, so I figured low sustain gut strings would help me take my two jazz combos up another notch on the swing meter- Does anyone on THIS site have any experience with these strings?

2. I ordered a set from Bob, had a luthier put them on, a little carving, and away we went. The result...first time I had unwrapped gut for the G and D. The sound is great, but everyone told me that I'd be tuning constantly, and how. They go sharp and flat, and I guess I'm an impatient guy. For the wrapped A and E, I really couldn't get used to the feel. The roundwound metal was noisy and uncomfortable to my fingers, and I felt like they were really chewing up my fingerboard. I took them off after a month, and put back the A and E Obligatos, and that doesn't really fix the problem cause they are still used and old. I ordered the Eurosonic Ultra Lights and well, maybe the Holy Grail is in sight. As far as Innovations, I never tried them, but , IMO, I would not recommend the wrapped Lenzers. This forum is great, but if you want a different slant, try the message boards at rockabillybass.com to become as informed as possible. Good Luck.

3. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the reply Giacomo- Do you play a ply or carved bass? And what type fingerboard? I'm on an Englehardt that seems to open up soundwise more with HIGH action and lower tension strings- I'm info fishing on rockabillybass.com as well, by the way; It seems alot of folks forget that some of the early giants in jazz bass (Pops Foster, Wellman Braud, up to Milt Hinton and beyond) used the slap technique as well...

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Get ahold of Barefoot Larry over at Rockabillybass.com.

He has a set of Lezners, all unwrapped, and he swears by them.

I'm using the Innovations and I love those. Easy to slap, easy on the hands, great pizz tone and somewhat bowable.

5. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I've been using gut strings for years...nothing sounds like gut, you just have to decide if the gut sound is for you or not.
    I have plain gut G and D and Pirastro Olive A and E. My pizz sound is very rich and thumpy with enough sustain, my slap sound is very "Willie Dixon" if you know what i mean...
    About tuning, you have to give time to the strings , they will need a week or more until they are stable.
    If you play just slap, you can easily play all 4 gut, but if you pizz too, i would advise you to try at least a wounded E and maybe a A
    the pirastro Olive A is fantastic in my opinion
    good luck

NUNO

p.s. my main work bass is a 52 M1 Kay

6. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the feedback- I love these forums!- The strings should be arriving today- I'll let yall know if I'm to be a gut devotee... I do have a gig tomorrow night though, so I'm planning on just swapping out the D and G so I can tune off the more stable Innovations during the set- From what I've read about tuning instability, it sounds like my ears will get a good workout... nothing wrong with that as long as I'm quick, when I tune I do it ultra light off harmonics until I feel the out of tune waver stabilize- No Jack and Gingers for me tomorrow!

7. moped, in reply to your questions from yesterday... I bought about 2 years ago a 1984 (called the factory) Eng M-1, with a rosewood fingerboard (I had a luthier remove the shiny shellac) and he also planed the board, took off the original old hunky thick bridge and carved a new one with wooden adjustors ( he told me that, since the original fingerboard was fairly flat on the AE side that I would have trouble with arco, and since I don't bow and didn't want to invest in a new fingerboard, I left it alone.) He also put on the aircraft cable. Like you, I find a better sound and much more volume with higher action, and I've been totally anal about it, working the adusters up and down way too many times. I had read that Obligatos lose a whole lot if they are detuned, and I can say I agree with that. There's no question that the Lenzners unwrapped G & D kicked it up a notch, and as I had said I really couldn't stand the wrapped AE, to me they felt like playing electric roundwouds on an UB. But here I go again. The UPS man delivered the Eurosonic Ultra Lights last night! I must be nuts, another $135.00! You know what, I'm not even going to mess with them for a few days, I have a regular monthly gig tonight and I'm going to use the acoustic electric and the 27 lb. amp and the hell with it.

8. ackeim

ackeim

Nov 10, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I also find lower tension strings sound better on my eng. i use obligtos and low action. they sound much better than spiracores on my bass. i also am just lucky to have a particularly sweet eng.

9. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    The Engels do seem to be individually unique, don't they? Jim Clark of this forum and also an Engel owner found that his opened up soundwise with the higher tension steels, right Jim, if you're reading? I had superflexibles on mine and they were fine as long as I kept the action high, but the tone and volume would disappear upon lowering the action- My hands were dying from this setup though so I tried the Obligatos out, thinking I'd sacrifice volume for comfort, but they projected MORE to my surprise- Thus began the lower tension wallet emptying wife infuriating string hunt- These guts are wonderful! In my dumb rush purchase though (from Bob), I neglected to notice that the E and A were roundwound, so I'm hoping he'll allow me to swap for plain- I'm a dumbass

10. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    (For those who are bored at work/home and have been reading my ramblings on this thread) With no questions asked, Bob (http://www.gollihur.com for all your DB needs) has allowed me to send back my unused roundwound E and A Lenzners for plains- A true Southern gentleman if I've ever met one (even though he's in New Jersey) ;)

11. So where are you now, Moped? How did the full set of unwrapped Lenzner's work out? I didn't stick with the UltraLights (6 months) now tried the Weichs and like them as they play in. But the demons have me thinking about putting on the Lenzner's G and D...just to see what happens. Help me Lord.

12. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    The guts are great- all 4 of them- The E was a bit of a challenge to get used to the massive diameter- I swapped it out after a couple gigs for an Innovation, but went back- The strings definitely require a comparitively long break-in time (tuning, tension, and tone), but once they do, tuning is stable, the tension settles nicely, and the tone is magic- I'm done with my string drawer (for now at least ;) )

13. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Dang, Moped, I am only now realizing that I missed this thread and didn't respond to your comments. For what it's worth 4 months after the thread started... it's true that my Engelhardt seems to like higher-tension strings, but as with all basses there are other variables at play. First, I have never tried synthetic core or gut strings on my bass, so I can't fairly compare it to strings such as Obligatos, etc., with much lower tension. The lowest-tension string I have used was Corelli 370TX. Also, with my small hands, I do better with lower string height; my bass might sound great with lower-tension strings, but I can't handle the higher string height. However, I have been dying to try Velvets for over a year and have yet to take the plunge.

14. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Hola Jim! I'd think with your lower string hight, your current choice in strings should be just right- Velvets would be an expensive experiment, and if it ain't broke... but that's just a cheapskate's opinion ;) I tried lowering the guts and lost alot of their punchiness; not enough tension I suppose-