Leo Lyons

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    I am getting really into the band Ten Years After. Their bassist, Leo Lyons, was pretty good. Does anybody else here like them? what are are your favorite songs?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You need to see Lyons play on either the Isle Of Wight DVD or Woodstock DVD...

His tone, is a little...I dunno-
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I liked TYA very much when I was younger. Sounded pretty good. Much energy.

Leo Lyons is a rock'n'roll bassist like thousands others. Does his job pretty well, but nothing outstanding, IMHO.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    When I was a kid, I thought Ten Years After was the sh&t!!![I'm old:eek:] I learned some of my first "walking" style basslines from Woodchoppers Ball off the Undead album.
  5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Geezer Butler always gives Leo credit for much inspiration towards his fingering style and many of his licks. It can be easily seen why in this TYA studio rehearsal footage from the late 60s - www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKpnSCSETXY&featur=related
    Don't think I've ever seen anyone give a basic blues such effort!
    Plus seeing Alvin on his Strat is another rarity.
  6. Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Thats exactly who I thought of (Geezer) when I think of Leo- the way he digs in and plays up toward the neck :D
  7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Well, part of why Geezer plays high is, as he say's, because he didn't know you could take off the cover plate from his P bass!
  8. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Check out Leo's playing on TYA's recorded live album. Slow blues in C, got me hooked.
  9. I think he's a bit more than that, particularly on the earlier jazz/blues inspired albums like Stonedhenge.

And he's one of the most fantastically amusing players to watch live.:D
  10. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Leo also produced all of the classic (good) UFO records...
  11. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Anyone who played bass thru Marshall is ok in my book!

Here's a bit of trivia:
    At Woodstock, a young, skinny long haired kid named Norm Coleman stood behind Leo's Marshall cabs, holding them from vibrating off each other. Norm Coleman is the former Senator (and St. Paul Mayor) from Minnesota.
  12. bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    your right, I forgot about that.