Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leo Quan Badass Bridge III

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craig_man_10, Oct 16, 2005.

1. So I see that there's a new badass bridge. Whats new on the badass III? Are they still a drop in for a Fender?

2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think somebody lied to you. I just checked the Leo Quan site and i seen nothing about a Badass III. I might be wrong though and if you have the site where you seen it on id love to know.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's on the new Fender Frank Bello Model.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    [​IMG]

5. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh wow, im really liking that. You know of any website that sells them Nino? Id love to put them on my GSR200 im buying tomarrow.

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Am I the only one that feels that Fender really has to stop coming out with basses that are black with rosewood? How many times can they do it? Frank bello sig, Big block p, aerodyne, reggie miller sig ( ok thats available in sunburst too but still)

7. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I defiently agree with that... It's not the most appealing combination thats for sure.

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Maybe Ebony. MAYBE. But yeah, a BadAss 3? Hmm. Looks cool, probably sounds good too.

9. looks like it only has 3 bolts?

is it supposed to be replacing original badass bridge?

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Looks to me like the BA III has a string thru body option. AFAIK, no other BA bridge has that. That'd be my guess. Everything else looks the same.

11. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Yep, the string through option is new. I've been waiting to add that to my MIA P Bass. Cool beans!!!

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, where do you buy them?

:D

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh boy! A third way to spend money needlessly on your bass. Well, it may not improve the tone, and it may add more weight to your bass, but at least it devalues its potential collector's value.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I know Leo was checking out a String-thru Badass II, I guess that's not happening and this is the replacement?

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wow...

IMHO, they definitely do improve the sound, but regardless of that subjective point, one thing for sure is it definitely does not devalue the instrument. All the BA's I've ever messed with are a screw-on replacement using the original holes... no mods necessary. Just save the original bridge if that's a concern.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well if you've ever seen the prices on Ebay for Fenders, the ones that are completely stock always go for more than the ones with replacement bridges. And if you replace the Badass when you sell it, you take a chance on there being a noticeable coloration difference under the bridge, as well as creating a line around the edges of the Badass.

As for tonal improvement, that's debatable. I don't hear it myself with replacement bridges. Not saying you don't, but I certainly don't hear an improvement.

17. Not everyone buys a bass with the intention of someday selling it...............hmmmmm?

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    For this one on a vintage bass you'd have to drill to accomodate the through body stringing ... but I imagine they sized it right to go on the current MIA Fender basses, which are through-body strung, without modification?

19. It's funny how that is such a deciding factor. Resale value is for cars or houses... ;) It's funny how some people here don't buy basses as keepers, but as tide-me-overs.

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    My assumption was that we were talking about the appropriate BA for a given bass... in other words, no BA III unless the bass already had the thru body option from the factory. Mainly, I'm generally against drilling holes in my basses. So far, I've never had to do it for any reason.