Leo Quan BadAss V on my Marcus Miller V??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickNardone, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Hey Guys.

I just saw the BA V bridge up for sale on a vendor site, and had never come across the 5 string version before.

I picked up a MM5 a few months back, and have started modifying it. I'm determined to make it the sickest MM bass out there.

Would one of the Leo Quan bridges be a direct swap for my stock bridge? I would still like to be able to use string through body.

Any help on this matter would be so very appreciated. Has anybody infact done this on their Marcus yet?

Thanks guys. :)

DSC06681.gif

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    cant help ya a bit, but sweet bass.. a Red Tort guard would look so sexy on that thing.. Sooo Sexy

3. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    you'd need to either modify the Badass II or your bass for it to fit. The Badass III series are designed as a direct replacement for Fender American series (deluxe series, artists etc). Unfortunately, they don't make them for 5 string basses, otherwise I'd upgrade my p-bass V

4. They do make 5 string Badass bridges matey

086-8008-005.gif

As for retaining the through body stringing - you could do it using the Badass, but really they are designed so that the through body holes in the baseplate are usually placed further back than on a regular "bent plate" Fender bridge.

You can see the longer spread of the strings over the saddles to the back of the bridge in this pic:

newnordybdy2.gif

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Man this thread is chuck full of sexy basses.. wheres the mylanta..

6. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    That bass already looks killer. I wish mine was black instead of natural.

7. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Not sure if that was aimed at me or not. I'm aware they make a 5 string model of the Badass II, but the screwholes wouldn't match with a 5 string Fender with the deluxe bridge with thru-stringing. You could try to mod a Badass II, but unless you're having problems with your current bridge, I'd say leave it for now. If you wanna make the bass even better than what it is, I'd wack in a better preamp and possibly custom pickguard :)

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The deluxe bridge is quite good already.

9. Jammin'ForJesus,

I would let it ride as-is for at least six months. [I've long suspected the BA bridge is a tad overrated.]

I really like those Marcus Millers. What did you pay?

10. Bart pups, Jim East pre, and some more black hardware are on their way.

I'm not sure what you talking about with the BAII. How could I use a 4 string model for my 5 string? I understand it would take modification, but I don't think the base plate would be wide enough for five string saddles.

I see what you talking about how the BA5 requires the use of further back string through body holes. I can see how I wouldn't be able to use the factory Fender through body holes because of this.

Would this bridge work if I decided to not string through body, and just place it over the original through body holes?

Is this bridge a direct swap for any basses out there? It looks killer on that (I think it's a) Sadowsky.

I have never liked the look of stamped bridges like alot of the Fenders, bolt-on Pedullas,
    etc...

I like a more meaty machined block looking bridge on a bass. I understand that a stamped plate style bridge can sound better on some bolt-on designs, but I would love to switch to a more blocky style bridge on this bass. The BA5 looks mean as hell.

Thanks for the compliments on the bass guys.

DSC06683.gif
    DSC06679.gif
    DSC06698.gif
    DSC06692.gif
    DSC06690.gif
    DSC06686.gif

11. The bass has been great to me. The MM is really the only Fender that has ever interested me.

I bought it from a fellow member on here for a bit over $1K. I feel I got a great deal.

The stock pre is lame, and I can't wait to get it out of there. The stock pups would probably be fine with a better pre, but I'm going to shange them out and shield everything while I'm at it.

I'd highly recommend the bass. THe heel cut is perfect, the neck is super shallow for a Fender, which I love. The HipShot hardware rocks, and the neck is naughty bright.

12. I thought the MM pups and pre sounded tight? No?

And you can go passive with a flick of the switch. I like that bass as-is.

13. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Arizona
    I would suggest that you keep the stock bridge on your bass, I purchased a Marcus Miller 5 which was already mod with the badass V bridge, and have since then swapped back to the stocked deluxe bridge. The main thing that I didn't like was that I couldn't get my action low enough on the treble side even with the saddles all the way down (It's a fat bridge), the other thing was that there was no string through option on the bridge, you will also have to drill an extra hole in the bass to line up the badass bridge, which was evident when I went back to the stock bridge. This bass also have the sadowsky w/vtc pre, and nords split coil, the bass sound awesome I must say.

14. Sounds wicked.

I read one of your older posts about the action not being low enough.

Did you notch the saddles yourself? Could they be notched deeper for lower action?

Can you please post some photos of the bridge installed.

Thanks for the detailed information!

15. no string thru on badass V bridges.

16. The Badass V bridge does have through body stringing option now (on the Badass III 5 string model)- there are feeder holes in the baseplate at the section where the baseplate "flips up" for the top loaded anchor points.

You can see the rectangular holes at the end of the saddle grooves in the baseplate just before the "topload" anchor section:

161235.gif

17. All I can say is this sooooooooo belongs in the Black and Maple Bass thread.Very good exapmle of it.

18. Read my sig. :)

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice bass, excellent choice on the preamp. Barts will be sweet, although if it were mine I would have gone with dimarzios most likely, different tones desired though Im sure.

20. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker Guest

Apr 9, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    It seems like people are commenting on the Badass V that have never seen one in person. I also don't understand how the saddles couldn't go low enough :confused: They go much lower than the ones on my stock bridge. Anyway.................

I got the one that DOESN'T have the saddle grooves cut. The bridge, saddles, etc. is built on a 19mm spacing. That's the spacing of the long grooves that the saddles slide in, string holes and everything else on the bridge. For me, that works out well because my Squier has 19mm spacing. I just need to mill my string grooves in the center of each saddle. That will be easy because I can hold them in my milling machine vise using the block on the bottom of each saddle. If you have a narrower spacing, it will require some math, measurements a little more finess :)

I'm not sure what bridge the Badass V would directly replace without having to drill holes, it's a very different design. I would be prepared to drill ALL new holes. Also, don't forget to clean the plating or coating off the back of the bridge for the ground wire!!

As far as using the string through holes, I might try that as a 3rd phase of my project, after everything is mounted and working but with the mass of the Badass bridge, I cannot see it making that much difference. Considering string ferules will have to be made and holes precisely drilled through the body, I'll be giving it some though.