1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leo Quan or Hipshot?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lckednloaded, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Lckednloaded

Lckednloaded

Mar 27, 2010
    So its time to upgrade bridges on my 62 Jazz RI. I like the Badass II that is on my Geddy lee but I want some opinions on both the Quan and the Hipshot or any other bridges. Thanks for your replys!

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    What are you hoping to accomplish? Is it a tone issue or an adjustment issue? Hi mass bridges have "a sound" that may or may not benefit your bass, mostly characterized by making the bass brighter with slightly more sustain. That said both Hipshot and Leo Quan make very good bridges as do Schaller and Gotoh. Regardless of which one you choose, be sure to get something with adjustable string spacing so you can make sure the strings line up over the pole pieces of your bridge pickup.

3. I would recommend the Gotoh 201 over the Bad Ass. I've had both and I think the Gotoh is just as solid a bridge at half the price!

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    1) Why? What are you hoping to achieve with the new bridge? Is it broken?

Replacing a perfectly good bridge is pretty silly.

5. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I used a Gotoh 201 on the parts-bass I built. I have no complaints. A solid unit with good adjustment.

6. Bman83

Bman83

Jul 27, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Blow half a paycheck and get a Kahler tremolo!

7. Lckednloaded

Lckednloaded

Mar 27, 2010

Well it isn't broken but since it is just a flimsy little piece of metal its not really "perfectly good" and upgrading a bridge can improve your tone and ability to intonate your instrument. I have experience with the Badass II and stock bridges but wanted some opinions on other bridges.

8. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007